Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just bought a new clutch cable because the old one snapped while I was riding. After trying to install it, it appears its not enough slack on the cable, like the cable is too tight. I think the lever on the clutch housing might be broke. I tried everything I know to get it in but it's not enough of the cable, is it time to replace the entire clutch? Bike is a 2008 ZX6R

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
Hey everyone, just bought a new clutch cable because the old one snapped while I was riding. After trying to install it, it appears its not enough slack on the cable, like the cable is too tight. I think the lever on the clutch housing might be broke. I tried everything I know to get it in but it's not enough of the cable, is it time to replace the entire clutch? Bike is a 2008 ZX6R
Was it an OEM or aftermarket cable?
Was it the same length as the old one?
Is it getting bound up/pinched by something when you installed it?
Do you have aftermarket clutch lever?

Pics of it at the lever and at the cluch housing would be helpful. If it's anything like my 10r, I had to bottom out the adjuster by the clutch housing and at the clutch lever when I replaced mine not too long ago.

Edit: for clarification; I set both adjusters to the loosest setting when installing the new clutch cable. Then made incremental adjustments to both adjusters to the desired tightness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the bike with the levers that are currently one it, they might be aftermarket, but it's the special edition 08 with matching forks, wheels and levers. As far as the clutch cable, it's a motion pro clutch cable and it appears to be the same length as OEM. I'll try to upload pics when I get back to the garage, but I bottomed out the adjustment dial near the clutch lever and the screw on the clutch housing it basically un tightened at the bottom. From some research though, it's looking like the lever on the clutch is housing is broke. It springs back too far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the pin in the clutch housing fitted correctly? It should have some freeplay and it can be removed easily but don't I guess dont mess about with it if you haven't already.

I'd fit the cable like this;
On the threaded end have one nut all the way on and the other nut loose.
Fit the lever end but leave the adjuster all the way in, back it up just so the cable can't come out the slot.
Make sure the new cable goes the same route as the old one.
My older 6r goes through the fork/frame gap then along the frame behind fairing but above where the fairing screws to the frame. If that makes any sense.

Hook the threaded bit into position and push it all the way to the nut. Awkwardly hook the cable end into the pivot bit on the clutch case and pull it all into place.
Make sure the cable isnt jammed in the pivot or twisted up.
While youre there thread that loose nut on, tighten it up some and bring the other nut down to clamp up and check everything.

That's about it, check it's all working and not catching while turning bars etc and adjust to preference.

Sorry if any of that is an egg sucking lesson.

If the cable feels tight undo the top nut and tighten up the bottom
(To shorten the outer casing giving slack)
If its loose undo the bottom nut and tighten the top (make the casing longer removing slack)
To lock the nuts hold one steady and turn the other. Otherwise it will rattle loose.

If your sure its the right cable but can't fit it like that maybe loosen the lever perch from the handlebar and move it over to the right a bit.Or take it off entirely but don't twist it up on the refit

Are you saying the bolt on the lever pivot is backing off? So does the lever in your hand wobble? That could cause the cable snapping. It should have a nyloc nut on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hope its an easy cheap fix, you only broke the cable but it was working before.

I bet when you removed the old cable the lever/actuator just slipped off the release pin/breakout rod , they kinda slot together.

My manual says just lift that lever up out the housing a few mm and wiggle about til it re-seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts