Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I opened the reservoir and the fluid has some black stuff in it. I think its time to change it because the clutch seems stiff too. This would help the stiff situation right?

I've done brake bleeding successfully and its the same concept, im hoping.

As for the fluid its DOT 4.. But wanted to make sure its any DOT 4 fluid? or a special one for motorcycles.
I also read something bout Glycol, not sure if that concerns this or not.

Any other tips would be appreciated before i start on it.

1995 zx7 l
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It's about the same as brakes, but you're dealing such a small reservoir it can be a pain .

As long as it is DOT4 and not a dot3/dot4 hybrid you'll be fine.

Josh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

and sixstring im gonna drop by the one in Whitby 2maro and pick it up. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If your in toronto then see if you can get yourself down to princess auto and pick up a one man brake bleeder kit.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/2990048/Brakes/One-Man-Brake-Bleeder-Kit

For $5 its an AWESOME tool. You basically stick the pointy end into the bleed nipple hole and then the resivoir has a magnet that makes it stick to a bike stand or your gas tank. Very little mess.
That's a good deal for $5. NAPA has a similar one too, but with an inline check valve which works pretty slick.

Josh

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's a good deal for $5. NAPA has a similar one too, but with an inline check valve which works pretty slick.

Josh
Yeah NAPA is good for some pretty cool shit every now and then. A friend of mine has a 1/4 drive ratchet from NAPA thats got like a hundred teeth or something. Very funky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys so bled the clutch! ... the old fluid was really dirty. However, the stiffness didn't go away.. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Is this bike new to you? It's possible a previous owner installed KIT springs or aftermarket EBC clutch springs which are both a pain in the ass to operate.

If the problem cropped up out of nowhere... Hmmmm beyond rebleeding the system you might have to pull the clutch cover and have a look-see.

Josh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the bike last year driven about 3k.. it was stiff from the start. I just didnt focus on this because I had bigger problems with it before. How do look for these springs or ebc clutch springs.. The bike has a gp type gearbox i think its called...the shifting is reversed not sure if that has any impact on it or not..

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
GP style is easy, you just flip the shift arm upside down.

KIT or Kawasaki springs are color coded. I don't remember if the EBC springs are marked. I installed EBC Race springs in my ZX6 when I first got it and hated life. Swapped 3 of the springs for stock and life was better.

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
KIT springs:

Soft to firm...

Yellow are stock
White
Green
Blue

With my 7 I had Green springs and then switched to White which are nice.

The reason for the different springs are for various configurations of the slipper clutch.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I think he wanted pics of the whole bike... I'd like to see pics of the whole bike

Josh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So bullitt where do I find these springs to see if they have been changed or not? No idea where they are installed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts