Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,001 Posts
I have never had a bike where hitting the front brakes caused the pads to move and clunk.
And due to your lack of experience, if it were the pads causing the clunk, you'd be totally stumped and baffled, which appears to be the case.

Eliminating possible causes will eventually lead one to the actual cause. Denying possibilities is delusional.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
My EBC HH pads rattle and clunk all the time. I put the stock pads (also HH) back in and no rattle. Re-installed the EBC and rattly/clunck returned. The issue is the pad fram is a bit smaller than stock so they move around in the caliper slots a bit when the break is applied. I only notice it at slow speeds.

·
Premium Member
13,001 Posts
My old F-150 straight-six work truck once developed a loud knock, almost, but not quite loud and deep enough to be a rod big end. I suspected a piston pin. After all, it had over 250K miles on the clock at the time. I stopped by my mechanic's shop and let him listen to it. He walked back into his bathroom and came out with a bar of soap. With the engine idling, he held the bar of soap up against the inside run of the serpentine belt and within a few seconds, the knocking ceased. Apparently the belt was slipping and gripping and every time it did, it caused the alternator pulley to jerk back-and-forth. which caused the knock. I never would have suspected that a rubber belt could cause such a loud noise, but his experience told him exactly what it was.

The point is, never dismiss outright the possibility of something untoward causing a problem or noise you wouldn't think it could.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
And due to your lack of experience, if it were the pads causing the clunk, you'd be totally stumped and baffled, which appears to be the case.

Eliminating possible causes will eventually lead one to the actual cause. Denying possibilities is delusional.
Quit being a dickhead.

Contrary to what you think, I would indeed be able to diagnose it. I didn't say it was impossible. You would just have to be missing the little stainless "shim" spring that goes in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any recommendations on a new set of forks?
I'm pretty sure I can see movement. Just preparing for this route

I don't mind the stock set it's not like I'm gonna push the bike to its limits suspension wise.

I am open to an affordable aftermarket set.

Trying to solve this issue then I want an exhaust system and maybe a damper.
Not sure if it's worth doing a few inch stretch but I like the looks.

Thx again.

·
Premium Member
13,001 Posts
Quit being a dickhead.

Contrary to what you think, I would indeed be able to diagnose it. I didn't say it was impossible. You would just have to be missing the little stainless "shim" spring that goes in there.
You can't stand anyone being more obstinate than yourself, because you think you're some kind of genius, when in truth you're clueless. Plus, your attitude sucks. You hardly make a post that doesn't use the terms "shit" "fuck" or some other big-boy word you heard in the playground. What you don't know, you don't even suspect.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts

I don't mind the stock set it's not like I'm gonna push the bike to its limits suspension wise.

Thx again.
Unfortunately most aftermarket forks are big $$$ so buying a good set of stock forks would be the only semi cheap way to do it. Other then that having a good suspension shop put a cartridge kit in the forks you have will probably solve the problem and get you an answer to what happened.

·
Premium Member
13,001 Posts
Quit being a dickhead.

But since it's never happened to you, it's highly unlikely? Maybe someone you know had it happen where the little "shim" was missing?

·
Premium Member
13,001 Posts

Thx again.
There are good sets of used forks out there for around $300, but it may be cheaper to replace whatever's worn in the ones you have. Ohlins makes the only set of aftermarket forks for the ZX-14 that I know of and they are around $2600 new. Good luck finding a used set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ok guys, thanks for the recommendations.

i'm buying the guts for the forks.

buying the roller bearing type replacements for the stem/head/bearings.
paid to have that checked and repacked, but here we go again,

if you want something done right...

fk it, i'll feel safer knowing i did the work, and if i die due to a mistake, i only have myself to blame, :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Satus:
Got the bike secured and the front hanging.
Front / upper / lower fairings removed.

With the front end hanging off the ground slightly, I can feel some play/movement inside the forks.
With the forks full stretched, i can pick up on the wheel slightly and there's about a 1/2" play before it compresses.
I didn't think you can compress a fork/strut like that.

If not, that's the feeling I get going over bumps.
Looseness in the strut.

The center/stem assembly and bearings/race have zero/no movement in them.
They are tight.

So, next post going up, where can i buy some good/low mileage/used replacement forks or assembly.
Or, I wouldn't mind buying a new set; I don't need a top of the line fork or all out racing fork; I barely put my zx to it's limits on the turns anyway; but i do haul ass on it and a set of good forks would be nice.

thanks,
allen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update:

I went ahead and did something I really didn't wanna do; I tore down , rebuilt and assembled.
I have fired the dealership ( only used them twice); they will no longer be servicing my bike.
When I first bought it with 500miles I immediately began riding it aggressively, wheelies, sliding, burnouts, etc, that resulted in the first dealership replacing fork seals.
btw, a**holes marked up the stem and adjustments as well.
Second time it was serviced was for a once over and maintenance and to identify the cause of the knocking sound, which was felt in the hand grips.

After acquiring the service manual; purchasing the parts needed; I rebuilt the forks.
I'm positive one of them was low on oil; probably both actually. However, the oil was very clean; as I expected.

The rebuild was easy and took less than half a day for someone willing to keep on it.
Took me almost a month to complete it (business and sh!t happens).

Anyway, bolted on the lower fairings today, took it for an hour+ ride and I haven't heard one knocking noise while riding over small bumps in the road.
Crossing the tracks shook the bike of course and I heard a few things; sounds normal.

More ride time will determine if it's gone for sure.

Anyway, hope it helps someone with similar issues who does a search.

Of course this means I'll be servicing my bike (not that i can't i don't wanna) and it'll probably get modded like everything else, lol.

thanks for all the suggestions,
allen

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
that's so cool you solved it and fixed it right!! great feeling huh?
fuck the stealerships!

wait till you check and adjust the valves, you get to take all sorts of cool shit apart.

way to work it :happy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

'08 z14.

Did some wheelies on it, noticed leaking seal, got them rebuilt at the Dealer.
I haven't done any wheelies since the rebuild.

I'm not sure if the repair is related to the issue or not; or even if it existed before the rebuild; but I am noticing after the rebuild.

If I apply the front brake, and put my weight on the frontend while compressing the shocks and let it come back up,
I hear a clunking noise.
As I'm ridin I also hear the clunking noise as I ride over small bumps on the roads.

The noise is definitely coming from the frontend and I think I feel something in the abosrber, just not real sure.
Bike sounds junky and it's driving me nuts.

Hoping others can comment and point me in the right direction.

thanks,
allen
Hi Allen, Old post but the answer may still be relevant to others. I have an 05 ZX12R and the front forks clunked when they bounced back up. When riding it sounded like either loose head bearings or worn fork bushes. I replaced all the bushes and seals, checked the head bearings, all perfect now, but still clunky. Turns out it was the rebound piston assembly. Not loose on the rod. I installed a full ktech valve kit, rebound and compression assemblies, problem solved and also very big improvements with the kit ! I believe GPSuspension sell the same type of solution in the states. Hope this helps !

21 - 36 of 36 Posts