Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and new to bikes altogether for that matter. I bought a 2000 ZX6R (first big bike) a couple of months back, and it seems to have suddenly developed a nagging problem.

It's hard to explain, and I can't quite put my finger on what causes it exactly (so forgive me for being vague). As I slow down almost to a stop, I hear a strange little 'clunking' noise coming from the front end somewhere. Occasionally happens at low revs while i'm on the move, too. Also, when I try to open it up there doesn't seem to be any kind of "pull" in the midrange/higher revs. The noise comes in spades, and I hold on tight expecting armageddon..... but hardly anything comes of it. It's almost like there are big flat spots, with power kicking in every now and again in between - not a constant climb.

Now, I don't know much about bikes, and I don't have anything to compare the power to - with the exception of an ER-5 that I did my training on - but my instinct tells me something just isn't right. I don't know if the two problems are connected, but I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could give me! My bike is my pride and joy, and i'd really like to get these problems ironed out.

Thanks for taking the time to read (sorry about the lengthy post)

Sarge

p.s. bike is stock as far as I know - with the exception of iridium spark plugs and a k&n airfilter

·
Registered
6 Posts
weird enough man, I've got a 2k zx6r too and although it doesnt make any clunking noises, the "pull" behavior that you describe sounds like my bike too. I've got a problem where once you get her to ~6k rpm she starts to shake, almost as if the choke is in the wrong position, it's pretty weird.
lemme know if you find out anything...
I've emailed Kaze (kawi mech) about my issue. I'll let you know if there's anything worth relaying your way.
-pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, that's cool man, nice one! It just bugs the hell out of me, and it's almost at the point when I'm focusing so much on it that I'm not enjoying the ride! I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it

·
Registered
494 Posts
Three possible things:

1) Your chain is loose and that clunk you're hearing is it catching up with itself around the front sprocket. If you hear it while downshifting, this is the cause.
2) There is play in your front end - steering head bearings, fork bushings, wheel bearings. You can check for this by standing beside the bike (left side) and sticking your left hand down under the frame neck where it attaches to the triple tree. Stick your finger in that gap, now with your right hand hold the brake and try to rock the bike forwards and backwards. If you feel play (movement) in that area you need to have your steering head redone, or the forks redone.
3) It's your brakes, the pads and calipers can move a bit on their bolts, and the semi-floating discs can clunk a bit. Don't worry about it.

Most likely the chain though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers Sev, i'll give those a try. Could the loose chain be the cause of the other problem in your opinion?

·
Registered
494 Posts
What's the second problem again?

nm, I reread the post. I'd say it's possible that you're running fairly lean - which would cause poor acceleration. The loose chain would contribute.

What kind of gas are you running?

When was the last time the bike had a service?

Get one problem ironed out at a time and see what happens. Really, I'd want to take a look at the bike before I started trying to figure out why the bike would be surging like you describe...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using high octane petrol (95/97 Ron). I thought it might have been mixture too, but I didn't think it was possible to change it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts