Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, wondered if anyone else has had this.

Used the bike for work today (as always) and there was a clunking sound loading the throttle at low speeds. Also noticed it a few times on the way home. It happens at low revs - throttle off and when you put the power on again there seems to be no response for a split second then the bike gives a dull thud and picks up.

The noise seems to come from either the front end or down near the left foot. Checked there's no play in the steering or forks. Fork seals are okay. No bodywork loose and the swingarm seems fine, rear wheel firmly in place etc. Chain has a bit of extra slack but not so much that I'd expect it to give any grief. Certainly doesn't sound like a loose chain that I'm used to, more transmission like.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree check chain tension...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easy things first.

Adjust the chain to proper tension

How many miles do you have on it?
Currently got 500 miles on it. I'll adjust the chain though I'm fairly certain it's not that. I was out on it Saturday and had no such noise yet today it was consistently happening.

Also had a couple of occasions in recent weeks when the clutch just didn't seem to bite. Would release it just like normal but would find myself sat there with revs and no drive. A second dip and it would bite as per normal. Maybe it was just me getting careless but could be related.

It's going in for it's 600 mile service next week so I'll get it checked over then and the service is being done by a mate who's got his own shop so I can depend on his thoughts. The dealer I purchased from is useless and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bolt it together right.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Would add whole new meaning to chicken lines, but seriousely hope it all gets sorted for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take the Bike back to the dealership with a full diagnostic on the engine. The same thing happened with my bike and it broke down on me shortly after the 600 mile service. Talk to a mechanic you can trust cause every one says what they "THINK" the problem might be, not based on actual knowledge. My bike is currently in the shop with a blown engine at 800 miles!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts