Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I charge $100 plus whatever parts and shipping needed. I'll post pics of each step and especially pics of the bad parts so that there is proof that the parts needed replaced. I will also send the old parts back with the carbs. Just keep in mind I cannot sync the carbs other than a mechanical sync (not a vacuum sync which will need done by a shop).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as far as i know the carbs have the stock jets but i have a factory pro stage 1 jet kit because i was told to get it with the k & n filter and bolt on pipe that i have put on it. I was also told that this bike cannot be properly jetted without doing the float bowl mod is this true or not?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
It can be properly jetted, problem is you will never really get it perfect because of the kleen air crap. They come factory with that little problem, and its not a huge deal.

Its also no big deal to do that mod, takes like 15 minutes.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I installed a stage 1 into EVIL7TWINS bike, and he has similar mods done. I also did float bowl mod and kleen air mod to the bike and so far so good I suppose. So far it has helped his bike.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
kleen air mod has nothing to do with how the bike is jetted, other than maybe a small tweak to the pilots... and by small, i mean I dont think it needs anything but am covering my ass.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Squidge you are right.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
kleen air mod has nothing to do with how the bike is jetted, other than maybe a small tweak to the pilots... and by small, i mean I dont think it needs anything but am covering my ass.
The air valve closes off the bowl vents under WOT (and when the engine is off). This is the reason why the 93+ ZX7's have such large main jets. It is extremely difficult to get fuel to flow thru those jets when there is a wall of air inside the bowl restricting the fuel.

Therefore, performing the Float Bowl Mod means being able to install more reasonably sized jets.

Which goes against basic instincts of installing aftermarket exhaust and air filters and thinking you need larger jets when doing those things coupled with the Float Bowl Mod means actually installing SMALLER jets.

Josh

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Well I know that with my mods I needed to go larger and still need to go a bit larger on the main jet.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Well I know that with my mods I needed to go larger and still need to go a bit larger on the main jet.
On your own bike? Your bike doesn't have ram air, which is where all the problems occurr with the air valve and float bowl crap.

And BTW the "KLEEN" air valve everyone seems to throw around is the valve that connects the reed valves together and ties into the air box. Not the float bowl air valve. The Kleen air valve directs air into the reed covers which goes into the exhaust stream.

Josh

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If you needed smaller jets when removing the kleen air crap, my bike should be rich as fuck considering I have larger aftermarket jets and in fact I need larger pilots because it is 3 turns out and still too lean.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If you needed smaller jets when removing the kleen air crap, my bike should be rich as fuck considering I have larger aftermarket jets and in fact I need larger pilots because it is 3 turns out and still too lean.
Probably because your float height is wrong. And the pilots were too lean from the factory from the get go.

And you need to dyno tune the bike for proper jets, not just guess at it.

Josh

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Thank god this forum has an ignore feature.

BRB, I have to go spend hundreds of dollars to properly set up my carbs because nobody in the history of internal combustion engines has ever been able to do so without a dyno.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Anyway.This has turned into a thread jack from hell.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sorry guys and gal, getting tired of the nuisance.

Josh

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Thank god this forum has an ignore feature.

BRB, I have to go spend hundreds of dollars to properly set up my carbs because nobody in the history of internal combustion engines has ever been able to do so without a dyno.

Just as an FYI Squidge... and Im not looking to get into a pissing match with your know-it-all attitude...

If you want to properly set up jetting... and I mean bang on, you will need 3-4 hours on a dyno, a few different profiles of needles, about 5 different main jet sizes, a few pilot jets... and a whole lot of patients...

And you will also need an O2 meter to balance your A/F properly while the bike is on the dyno... (this will be accompanied with the dyno to data logand help you decide which needles you need)

Thats if you have the money and want the best out of your bike...

Ultimately... it comes down to MONEY

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Properly and perfectly are different. For perfect you need a dyno. Properly, as in good enough for the street, does not.

I already pointed that out. For normal use, your butt dyno is sufficient.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts