Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys . . . before you start blasting me for these strips, know that i have only been riding for a little over a month and these tires have a little over 500 miles on them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
End of next summer you'll look back at these pix & laugh at the width of those strips.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to extend your cornering limits. As long as you're having fun & not getting hurt, that's what matters :smile

BTW your wheels need a clean, I can see dust on them :rolleyes

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
LOL. i just got back from ridin' in the canyons when i took these too.

yeah, i'm taking the turns at my own pace and i am in no hurry to scrape pedals either; i am taking it nice and easy and really enjoying the rides i have taken. i'm 34 and i am sort of glad i started to ride now b/c who knows how many stupid things i would have done in my early twenties! i've got nothing to prove to anyone and when i am sitting at a traffic light and some idiot revs his engine, i just laugh and let 'em beat me to the next light!!!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Words to live by. Always ride at your own pace... you tend to live longer.

And don't worry about the strips.... if you get stuck somewhere, you'll have lunch with you. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
you should consider riding the bike for what it was designed for. we all go through it but lets corner a little harder.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You don't start as Valention Rossi. And don't try. Go at your own pace and have fun.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks like a couple of newbies have made it to the darkside,LOL.
Welcome aboard:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have strips that are HUGE!!! I don't corner as hard as I probably should but I have a 130 mile one way trip to work and it is literally a straight shot down a 2 lane highway so the center of the tire is always going to be wore alot more than the edges. But I get to ride alot more than anyone else around here in the summer.:crazyloco

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have strips that are HUGE!!! I don't corner as hard as I probably should but I have a 130 mile one way trip to work and it is literally a straight shot down a 2 lane highway so the center of the tire is always going to be wore alot more than the edges. But I get to ride alot more than anyone else around here in the summer.:crazyloco
we have the same problem here, not that many nice twisties or corners......but every now and again, we need to seek out those twisties and corners just to "round" off the tires agian, for they tend to "square" off after just doing straights.....nothing worse than having a square tire going into a tight corner.....I hate that feeling of pushing the lean past that ridge. That's why I try to keep the tires well rounded, love a smooth lean :thumbup

·
Registered
26 Posts
in the summer of 2000, i bought a then-new gsxr750 and wound up with some health problems and wasn't allowed to drive. anyway, since i couldn't drive, may through august i was flex-i-placing out of my house and would ride from 4 o'clock on. it was great, all i did was ride twisties non-stop. i wore out the sides of my tires.

anyway, i am curious about one thing, how do you go through a turn? do you brake, release, turn, accelerate and straighten up? or do you stay off the gas until you're past the apex. or are you riding the brakes down to the apex and then getting on the gas.

i find it odd that your strips are the same size front and back. braking down to the apex (or trail braking) is fine for track riding, but not ideal on the street. the reason being is it limits the safety cushion you have.

btw, my track bikes are worn all the way out to the sides on the front because i trail brake on the track. on the street, i have bigger chicken strips on the front than you do.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
man, i never really thought about how i go through a turn/curve, i kind of just do it. but here is what i do. i find my line, get my entrance speed (usually by rolling off the throttle, but occassionally i'll get my entrance speed by hitting the brake before the curve-only b/c i don't feel like i've gotten to the point where i can go fast yet), lean the bike and when i get through the apex, i'll roll on the throttle through the rest of the turn. i think i've trail braked a few times only b/c i was a dork and didn't lean my bike like i should have. does any of that make sense?

i do notice that after i enter the turn that i am not hitting it as fast as i could have b/c i can lean, straighten a little, and lean again without any problem. is that also another reason my my front tire tread matches my back?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
after this afternoon's ride, i felt a bit more comfortable with turns. i noticed that i am leaning more as opposed to braking too soon. on the twisty roads i am learning on, there are two nice sort of hairpin turns (20 MPH and 30 MPH turns) that i took a little more confidently today. i was able to execute the turn properly by finding my line, getting my entrance speed, looking through the curve as i started to lean. it felt natural and i didn't straighten/lean/straighten/lean through it like i have been.

·
Registered
57 Posts
in the summer of 2000, i bought a then-new gsxr750 and wound up with some health problems and wasn't allowed to drive. anyway, since i couldn't drive, may through august i was flex-i-placing out of my house and would ride from 4 o'clock on. it was great, all i did was ride twisties non-stop. i wore out the sides of my tires.

anyway, i am curious about one thing, how do you go through a turn? do you brake, release, turn, accelerate and straighten up? or do you stay off the gas until you're past the apex. or are you riding the brakes down to the apex and then getting on the gas.

i find it odd that your strips are the same size front and back. braking down to the apex (or trail braking) is fine for track riding, but not ideal on the street. the reason being is it limits the safety cushion you have.

btw, my track bikes are worn all the way out to the sides on the front because i trail brake on the track. on the street, i have bigger chicken strips on the front than you do.
I trail brake on the track and the street. I adjust speed as I come to the corner but not carrying as much speed as I do at the track. I like to be on the front brake into the corner as I prefer to have more weight on the front. As I roll in I release the front earlier than I do on the track and get to neutral throttle as soon as possible to stabilize the bike. Then it is a matter of standing it up as early as possible to get to the fat part of the tire for acceleration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts