Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I check mine when it is bone cold. Usually in the morning before the first ride. I have the wife hold the bike level (not on side stand) and I check the oil. I like my oil readings just a hair line above the max mark because if you check the oil after the bike has been sitting all night the way the oil filter sits it drains back into the pan. So keeping the oil just above the max line will compensate the empty filter on a cold start up. If you start the bike and run it for a few minutes and shut it down, recheck the levels you will see it is exactly were it should be.

Others run the bike till it reaches normal temp then shut it down for ten minutes, then check oil. Hence keeping the oil filter full.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all.

Any tricks to checking the oil on the ZX-14? I.e. bone cold? warm after 'x' minutes of idle? nice and hot? What do you all recommend? Thx.
Get you a Mirrow from the parts store with a extending handle. sit on the bike and extend the handle on the mirrow and you can check the oil level without having your wife help you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you bought a zx14 for a first bike???~ you're either nuts or just have more cash than sense...
:headscratch I was thinking the same thing.

My God Man, be CAREFUL. :scared All joking aside, the ZX14
is so docile on the bottom end that you will be just fine as long
as you don't get in the secondaries too heavy. If you do,
you better hold on for dear life.

Take it slow and easy and enjoy your new bike. :smile

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:headscratch I was thinking the same thing.

My God Man, be CAREFUL. :scared All joking aside, the ZX14
is so docile on the bottom end that you will be just fine as long
as you don't get in the secondaries too heavy. If you do,
you better hold on for dear life.

Take it slow and easy and enjoy your new bike. :smile
Yepper TerribleTed, my man JohnnyB right here is right on the money. Kawi purposefully designed the first 4000 RPMs to be "docile" (not really, but lets say not incredibly torque"ie" like a Busa) for the express purpose of being more comfortable for "around town" riding. But let me tell you if you haven't already found out, that thing is mean 5-7k RPMs, and 8-11k RPMs she is just plain wicked hell on wheels. And if you roll on to fast into her power band (in just about any gear) she will become a rear powered mono-cycle.

I personally waited 15 years of cruiser riding before stepping up to this monster and I am still woefully unprepared for what she has to offer. In fact, I'm taking it easy this winter and then heading out to Freddie Spencer's course in the spring.

Bro, I suggest you do the same (i.e. hit up a good riding school) and take a long, long, LONG time getting to know this baby. In any event stay safe brother, and keep that shiney side up!

G

·
Get you a Mirrow from the parts store with a extending handle. sit on the bike and extend the handle on the mirrow and you can check the oil level without having your wife help you.
I'm amazed, that's fricken brilliant... I'm going to Princess Auto today...
Drew~

·
Registered
37 Posts
Whats wrong with a zx14 as a first bike? I dont see the issue. The bike operates just the same as any other lower cc bike. If he can control the throttle in a respectful manner then there shouldnt be an issue if the 14 is good for a first bike. My first bike was a Hayabusa, never even sat on a bike before then and 2 hrs after getting it I was on the freeway. I say congrats my friend for having the 14 as your first bike!

·
Registered
57 Posts
as much as it is possible that nothing will happen... a bike such as the zx14 is really not a good suggestion... while any bike - even a 250 - can get you into trouble, a 14 will get you there much, much faster... not to mention that throttle control is much, much more important~

i suppose i am not the best to talk ~~ considering that i'm planning to upgrade to the zx14 (or z1k or fz1) from a 250 :eek:hno though the thought of all that power still terrifies me slightly.. because i understand what it's capable of~ personally, i've reconsidered the zx14 - but the missus is prudent on the point of it being more comfy than the other 2~ and since i won't get to buy another bike for at least 10~20 years or so (planning to buy a house after the bike), i want to make sure it's one i like A LOT.. :crazyloco

also, where you ride can kinda affect what's suitable... i'm sure that i would go nuts on my 250 in the states, as it's gotta sit at 8000rpm just for 100kph (62mph) in top gear~ that'd drive me nuts :tard

here's to hoping that ted will at least take the MSF and take it easy~

·
Registered
17 Posts
first bike

NO, I don't think the 14 or any of the 1000cc bikes are good first bikes. First of all I think for a newbee learning throttle control of 1400cc bike might be a bit much, also braking the beast down safely from warp speed (or slow speed) takes skill. And lets not forget the weight (500+). This will all be big factors that can get a vet rider in trouble. The power this bike puts out is not something for a beginner to be learning with. The brakes are awsome. The power above 5000rpm is mind bogglin. NO.. I would not recommend a ZX14 as a first bike. This is just my .02 . Thanks Godfather

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow the guy asked for how to check the oil level and I see mostly posts about a zx14 being dangerous lol. Can you guys shed some light on the oil level please? I check mines after putting it upright on a stand and it looks good. But I only put 4.2 quarts in lol

·
Premium Member
13,204 Posts
Whats wrong with a zx14 as a first bike? I dont see the issue. The bike operates just the same as any other lower cc bike. If he can control the throttle in a respectful manner then there shouldnt be an issue if the 14 is good for a first bike. My first bike was a Hayabusa, never even sat on a bike before then and 2 hrs after getting it I was on the freeway. I say congrats my friend for having the 14 as your first bike!
I agree with this as long as we're talking adults, not arrested development testosterone poisoned teenagers. It's just like a big-bore pistol; if you don't point it at your head and pull the trigger, it won't blow your brains out.

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
And some bikes should be checked on their side stand..... doubt the OP needs the advice now tho

1 - 17 of 17 Posts