Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm riding home from the store and I see this red ZX10R sitting on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. I figure what the hell I'll check it out. So I go talk to the owners friend who is selling the bike for him (flag one) and he tells me that the chain has been recently waxed, tires brakes and all in good order and the bike has 13k on the clock. Well in my 30 second walk around I see the fork seals are shot, no lever on the front brakes, the chain has been waxed but not since it was new. Burn marks, pits, and appears to be a 525 chain. Sprockets are toast, and even though he said it's never been down just dropped some how the brake side peg was ground down to a 1" stub.. I never started it as the tires needing replaced, fork seals shot, and the front brakes no good halted my inspection promptly. I then got on my bike and took off. Overall cosmetically it looks good, but too many mechanical issues for a 5 year old bike and a price tag of $6500..

· Registered
7,375 Posts
Yeah deff sounds like the bike has had some good work outs.People still want crazy money for those older 10R's (04-07)

· Registered
1,102 Posts
Ya I always wonder when someone is selling it for a "friend." It's like ok that way you can just claim ignorance about problems with it and not feel any guilt for screwing someone with abad deal... Sorry man I had no idea, it's not mine...

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Gee, title, what title...

· Registered
109 Posts
that sounds like a smokin' deal! who needs tires or brakes?? I still feel as though i overpaid for my 07 ZX6 but it was in phenomenal shape, 6k on it and i got it for 5200. wonder if i could've swung a ZX10 for the same price...

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if I had $5k just laying around I would probably offer that to him considering it'll ned $1k worth of parts right off the bat.

· Premium Member
2,724 Posts
ya i always wonder when someone is selling it for a "friend." it's like ok that way you can just claim ignorance about problems with it and not feel any guilt for screwing someone with abad deal... Sorry man i had no idea, it's not mine...
+1

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah definitely not buying it. But just saying what some people are trying to get away with.

· Registered
7,375 Posts
Unfortunately there will be some kid with a pocket full of cash and no idea who will buy it and then be left wondering what went wrong.
:crackup
Yup.And he might even see whats wrong with the bike but "Its so pretty and so mean looking and fast looking!! Im buying it"

His youthness and itch for a fast rocket will overlook the flaws and buy it.

· Registered
1,891 Posts
:crackup
Yup.And he might even see whats wrong with the bike but "Its so pretty and so mean looking and fast looking!! Im buying it"

His youthness and itch for a fast rocket will overlook the flaws and buy it.
Well said. We've all either been there or almost been there. Thank God for fathers with experience. Lol

· Registered
1,007 Posts
The sad part it, someone ho doesn't know anything about motorcycles may pick it up and then hurt themselves because of the shitty maintenance by the previous owner.

My buddy bought an older r6 and the supposed "new chain" snapped in less than two weeks, almost slicing his passengers leg and then ripped a whole in the side of the engine block! Then when he fixed that the bike dropped a valve

· Registered
7,375 Posts
Well said. We've all either been there or almost been there. Thank God for fathers with experience. Lol
+1
Yeah.Actually before i bought my 94 ZX7,i was previously lookin at a 93 ZX7 in worst shape with more miles and the seller wanted more money but i was ready to pull the trigger on it (me being 20 years old and being my first sportbike)
But it was my dad that talked me out of it and what do ya know,a month later i found a ZX7 a year newer,better shape,lower miles and the seller wanted less money then the 93 i was lookin at.
3 years later,still got my 94 ZX7 and till love it+1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.