Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo... I got a check engine light on my way to work this morning. Specifically, the bike turned off and threw a CEL while I was waiting at a red light. It started right back up, but I noticed that the bike switched from 'F' power mode to 'L'. Not wanting to risk harming it, I limped back home and drove the car to work. A quick call to the dealer didn't lead to much with the exception that I might have poured in some bad gas earlier today. The dealer recommended that I ride it again tonight and see if the CEL comes back. If so, bring it in.

Anyone else had this issue?

2015 ZX14 w/approx 1,800 miles.

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
Sounds like a misfire or bad gas to me...

I only gas up at stations that are busy (they usually have fresher fuel) and the truck isn't in the middle of a delivery (kicks up sediments as the tanks fill which can get into your fuel at the pump.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What makes you think it was bad gas?
Not much other than I stopped and fill up right before the gym opened at 5am. The bike was parked until just after 7am. I had the CEL issue shortly after that.

I didn't see a truck at the gas station when I pulled in, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there earlier. It's a pretty new RaceTrac station that's only been there a few months. It's on one of the main roads in Palm Bay just off I-95, so I know it stays busy.

I rode the bike after work tonight and it seemed fine. I made sure my route included time in traffic, cruising around town, and a little highway speed for good measure. I can't recreate the CEL condition. Oh well, guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
maybe a glitch? ya know computers. wouldn't surprise me if you never see the problem again. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
That's weird; especially on such new bike. Never had that issue on mine.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
To the OP: Did you ever find out what the issue was? with regards to the engine light on your ZX14R ? did it ever go off or back on ?

Has anybody have this issue with a ZX14R ?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Will a new battery take care of this issue? can others with 14Rs' weigh in on this issue with the check engine light coming on while the bike is on but seems to reset when you turn off then on again?

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
To the OP: Did you ever find out what the issue was? with regards to the engine light on your ZX14R ? did it ever go off or back on ?

Has anybody have this issue with a ZX14R ?
I had the check engine light after a 1/4 mile pass. Picked up my time slip, it stalled but then started back up no issues. Haven't seen it since.

I think it might be related to the air shifter wiring/kill box. Going to go through the bike soon and make sure all the wires are still good.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
but then started back up no issues. Haven't seen it since.
Yeah me too. Went on on but off. Battery is over three years old so going to replace it next week. Read thread about this on here and other forums re: low voltage battery issues.

Reactions: bungles

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Yeah me too. Went on on but off. Battery is over three years old so going to replace it next week. Read thread about this on here and other forums re: low voltage battery issues.
Don't think I have a battery issue but I know I need to check the MPS kill box wiring. I need to redo the ground as well since I didn't like the connectors I was using.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Checked the battery voltage and it indicates 14.5 v so plenty of juice. I'm not using a trickle charge; actually never did with the 14R because it's in a climate controlled garage and every week to two weeks I start and run the bike for a few mins so I'm sure that helps. No need to change at all but decided to buy a battery and Deltran charger for future use if I ever need it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sooooooo... I got a check engine light on my way to work this morning. Specifically, the bike turned off and threw a CEL while I was waiting at a red light. It started right back up, but I noticed that the bike switched from 'F' power mode to 'L'. Not wanting to risk harming it, I limped back home and drove the car to work. A quick call to the dealer didn't lead to much with the exception that I might have poured in some bad gas earlier today. The dealer recommended that I ride it again tonight and see if the CEL comes back. If so, bring it in.

Have the same problem. After I felt a missfire, the bike pop the check engine light and switched to L mode, but every time I turn the bike off the check light goes away.. then the missfire comes and pop the light... any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2017 ZX14R with only 175 miles, CEL comes on when I turn ignition on, but goes out when I start it. According to the service manual, it has to do with DFI.

·
Registered
1 Posts

yes had the same issue what is the solution

1 - 20 of 20 Posts