Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to charge a battery on an 05 ZX12R without taking it all the way out? I have the tank cover off but cannot see any pos/neg terminals. Do I need to pull off the left side faring to get it out if one cannot charge while still in?

Thanks!

· Registered
15 Posts
I had the older A modle and you had to pull the battery cover tray out to get to it. There was a charging cable there but not hooked up. Large in size just like regular battery cables. I hooked it up and taped of the end so it wouldn't short out and hid it behind faring so I could hook a charger to it. A better way would be to forget about htat one and hook a small plug for a battery tender or charge maintainer so you cold stick it behind a fairing and chager anytime you wanted.

You can buy the end at part stores battery tender brand or you can get other brands that have the quick connect plug and leads for the battery.
I use a cheap maintainer I got from Harbor Freight for like 10-12 bucks. Always works for me and a lot cheaper than the brand name ones.

· Registered
126 Posts
Don't have to remove side panels. Look on the right side of your frame and you will see a cover secured by six fasteners. Remove this cover. Slightly pull out the battery tray and disconnect the negative lead. Open the white cable clamp Pull back the rubber boot in the front of the tray, and disconnect the starter lead. Pull out and disconnect the white connector. Carefully pull the tray completely out. Like Toby said the bike comes with a short positive jumper cable attached, but some owners remove them.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so the factory jump lead was missing but I noticed a wire going from one post up and around the front of the battery. It was wrapped in black electrical tape. I unwrap it and it's two leads that are heat wrapped on the ends then taped. I strip off the heat wrap and figure these are the fabbed up leads some make. Shave off some of the cover and now it's on the charger. We'll see if the charge holds but either way I going to put solder some ends on the leads then put some kind of boot covers for future charging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.