Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I posted this on another forum and got zilch. I'll try here, maybe you fellas can steer me in the right direction. The stock rims for my bike are 16's. That makes it a little more difficult to find the tires that I want. So, I want to put on 17's... I was just wondering if anyone knows of wheels from another bike that would fit on my bike. Same axle size and all. I was thinking maybe an early 90's ZX1000 or ZX1100. Any ideas?

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you do a search on the Kwaks Owners Club UK forum there are some threads there that may be of use, as this is a question that keeps getting raised for the older Kawasaki's on there.
Link is http://ccgi.wwwtechs.force9.co.uk/phpbb2/index.php
If you don't find what you are looking for ask the same question there.

From what I can make out any wheels can be made to fit but some ingenuity is needed & ability to get machining done. The problem with bigger wheels is that they usually allow wider tyres so you end up with clearance problems plus brakes need to be adapted.

Something to consider, which seems to be done a lot, is actually replacing the front forks & swinging arm as well as the wheels. This means you get up to date technology for the suspension & brakes to match the improvements in tyres. The front end should be fairly straighforward but the rear needs spacing for exhausts & chain offsets taking into account.

Be wary as all these mods will affect steering geometry to some extent so you need to be careful how you set things up.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts