Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my chain recently started grinding a bit recently, have checked sprockets/wheel bearings and tried a looser & tighter chain and getting the alignment perfect but still the same so im going to change the chain and sprockets and was thinking of going for -1 front + 2 rear and a 520 chain.

Will changing to this gearingmake much of a difference?
I know i will get better acceleration and lower top end and worse MPG
but i do 70+ miles a day so is the MPG much different?

Also how many extra links would i need compared to the stock chain?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
16/45 is a good compromise. I get 47-51 mpg with that.

15/45 netted around 44 mpg.

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I don't believe so. I think I had always been in the 110-112 link area.

I have the 10R swap now, so my current 16/45 setup doesn't help you much, which I believe is at 114 links.

15/45 is fantastic for the weekend warrior, but if you commute with highway miles the engine RPM can really get to you after a bit.

16/45 helps level things out and still quicken the acceleration up a touch.

If you really wanted to get fancy you could do 15/44 (2.93) or 15/43 (2.86) for something inbetween the 16/45 (2.81) and 15/45 (3.00)

Then there is the 16/46 (2.875) which would technically mean a little less wear on the front sprocket and a touch more "gettyup" for acceleration.

Josh

·
Registered
558 Posts
Since you commute I would go 16/45, 15 tooth fronts wear out fast. And yes, you will notice a difference.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, yeah im thinking of going up 1 or 2 on the rear, prob 2. as if the fueling is way worse its pretty painless to swap the rear back compared to the front sprocket

·
Registered
123 Posts
Stock you have 16/44.

For every -1 you go in the front, it equals +3 in back.

So 16/47(2.93) is the same as 15/44(2.93)

I have 15/45, I barely travel any highway miles, if I traveled more highway I would have gone with 16/47.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i am -1front +3 rear and ride 40 miles to work. the milage is about 40-42 depending on my wrist!! it does raise your rpms a bit but you will love the power change!!! go for it:crazyloco

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can everyone suggest a set up for me. I'm stock as of now on a 96 7R. I live in Germany and need more top end with the Autobahns. Used to ride a liter bike and now I am always looking for another gear to shift too on the top. My feet feel like there going to fall off with high RPM vibes. Don't care about fuel mileage to much.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
More top end? Hmmm... Maybe a 17/45 or 17/44

Josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you, do you think that a longer chain is needed and I assume by reading the above I should get a bit better fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thank you, do you think that a longer chain is needed and I assume by reading the above I should get a bit better fuel economy?
Its all relative. 6th gear @ 65 mph is going to net much better economy than 6th at 120.

But using the higher gearing is going to lower the rpm, but you will also have to open the throttle more to maintain speed, especially at the higher speeds.

I've kicked around the idea of swapping in a 17 tooth sprocket for long highway rides to simply lower my highway cruise rpm and not so much for economy. Cruising back and forth to work riding like eggshells gets me 50+ mpg easily.

I have tons of family in Berlin, I thought the average speed was equivalent to around 85-90 mph?

Josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Josh,

That what I will look towards then. We live down in the State of Barvia where the A7 and A6 Autobahns are. These have unrestricted speed limits in most areas except where construction is being performed which is usually limited to about 60 to 120KM. Fuel economy is not so concerning as my need for a liter bike RPM range on highway cruises.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It would take some extreme gearing to get 200kmh or around 125 mph to under 6 or 7 grand. A good cruising rpm IMHO is 5000.

I have 16/45 and 5000 rpm = 62 mph.

Highway speeds aren't too buzzy with that ratio and the engine pulls down to low rpm in 6th no issue.

Josh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts