Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. guys. I just adjusted my chain and I am worried that I have made it too tight. The book says that there should be 1.2 - 1.6 inches of slack. I am at 1,100 miles and I put a tape on it and pushed the chain and pulled the chain. BAM!! 2" of slack. So I adjusted it to get 1.4. The only thing is, I pushed really hard with my thumb and pulled pretty hard. The book does say push and pull but ... slack.. Was I supposed to push hard or gently? My friend has a 07 gsxr with 400 miles and his has more slack than mine did in the first place... My chain was driving me crazy cause I could hear it giggling rattling etc. Could someone please give me a heads up on it. Does your chain really loosen up that much? Should you be able to hear it rattling? I'm worried cause I don't want it to break.
Thanks

·
Registered
649 Posts
You shouldn't be pushing with all your mite. And yes, right in the middle of the chain is where you measure.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Something else to consider in addition to what you've already said... my maintenance manual says to measure the chain tension with the bike on two wheels (not on a stand) and roll the rear wheel until you find the "tightest" spot. Not doing exactly as instructed, you unnessarily overtighten the chain and cause increase wear on the chain and/or sprocket. Don't forget to properly lube your chain as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah... I read the book... I did that part
Something else to consider in addition to what you've already said... my maintenance manual says to measure the chain tension with the bike on two wheels (not on a stand) and roll the rear wheel until you find the "tightest" spot. Not doing exactly as instructed, you unnessarily overtighten the chain and cause increase wear on the chain and/or sprocket. Don't forget to properly lube your chain as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
im doing my front sprocket tonight/tomo so I will post how it goes i'm a bit worried about getting everything lined up straight after i put on the sprocket sinces it appears that you have loosen the back axel. any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
649 Posts
google zx6r wheel alignment.... there is a lot of info. A way of doing it for next to nothing is called "the string method".... don't rely on your alignment marks on the swing arm.... the can be off!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I just took it to the dealer... They checked it out and told me that I need about another 1/4 inch of play. They also said that the chain should move freely and should have about 5 pounds of pressure on the chain to see what it measures. Thanks guys for your help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
im in the middle of this now. I too was pressing like 20 lbs of pressure with one finger. i guess im too tight. i need 5 lbs i see. thank you so o mcuh for this info i have been looking for

1 - 17 of 17 Posts