Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am a newbie to the site which by the way is amazing!!!!! i have been riding for about four years now and i have a problem..... my bike has a stock front sproket and a 45 tooth rear sproket. i have to order a new chain asap as to this one is out of adjustment and this is how i commute to work and home. i have found one i am going to go for but it states that it is a 110 link chain which is mostly the stock length but since the rear sproket is bigger (45 teeth) will that work???? i counted my links and i only came up with 55 now do they double that number since the chain has double links on each side???? any advice would be great and very much apreciated.... i would buy a package deal with both sprokets and chain but money is really tight right now and i had just installed the rear sprocket last october

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
You may have to buy a 120-link chain and cut it to the proper length. Take a piece of chalk and mark a link and then count the total number of links to conform the length needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just did a count and i came up with 55 so since they are double links on both sides i am thinking that i need to double that number? am i right ???

·
Premium Member
13,206 Posts
There are inner and outer links, so if you only counted the outer side plates, double that number to get the actual number of links.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks hammer head i really apreciate it i really do i have only had this bike since late september last year and this is my first chain replacement my old kz650 only had a regular stock set of sprockets and was only a single sided chain so it was more like a biycycle chain lol but i do apreciate the help and if there is anything you need help with i am all ears i am a certified auto tech of ten years so i know my mechanics and i am pretty good with bikes with the past few years thats what my mechanic skills have been used on lol well kawasaki bikes that is lol dont much care for too many others kawasaki was my first and will mostly be my last brand of motorcycle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the chain that was on the bike was not stock that i know of. see this dumby put a 520 46 tooth vortex sprocket on it and its still a 525 set up so the chain had no chance so when i bouth the bike and i had discovered what he had done i imediately parked it til i got a new sproket in that was a 525 for that set up. when i bought the bike it only had 15000 miles on it. so most likely he had to have changed the chain at least once i would think but then again he did do this in the first place. he also side swiped a semi or so i was told because this smart person put a plug in the rear tire and was on the interstate went to shoot around the semi and the plug flew out tire went down and so he hit the truck i guess he got away from that all ok and it only did some cosmetics to the bike the trucker paid him cash on the spot to keep insurance out of the deal. but on another note. since price is a major issue right now i am going to clean and deeply inspect both sprockets during tare down but i do not have the funds to replace them at this time which i know i should and trust me i want to but food in the childrens tummies is first and well daddy here just does that absolutely nessicary for himself. any ways thats about the back story on the bike i think my budget option is going with a valor gold standard o-ring for now and in the fall or when money gets better i am going to do all three with the good stuff. just tryin to get by for now though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts