Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approx size i need? 17t front 44t rear zx10 rear end. Only reason i ask is because 130length is 10bux more than 120. I wanna get overkill anyways.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Be safe and get the 130 link. It will all depend on the size of the sprockets.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Why the funky gear ratio? I wouldn't go lower than 16/44. 16/45 is excellent for an all-around ratio and 15/45 is fantastic or spirited riding.

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have the 04/05 ZX10 swingarm, 16/45 520 gearing and adjustment is slightly short of midway... 114 links

I wasn't knocking the 17 tooth sprocket. For example: I really would like to ride out and visit my mom, but it's 750 miles one way, and all highway and I have pondered throwing a 17T on to lower the RPMS for the highway. But for daily riding? No way Jose'

Josh

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
You can always call sprocketcenter.com and they will know for sure. Great company!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You can always call sprocketcenter.com and they will know for sure. Great company!
Not nesacarily, since this is a non stock application with ZX7 running gear and ZX10 swingarm.

I think my stock setup was 112 links... New setup is 114

Josh

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Not nesacarily, since this is a non stock application with ZX7 running gear and ZX10 swingarm.

I think my stock setup was 112 links... New setup is 114

Josh
Gotcha, I retract my statement.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the 04/05 ZX10 swingarm, 16/45 520 gearing and adjustment is slightly short of midway... 114 links

I wasn't knocking the 17 tooth sprocket. For example: I really would like to ride out and visit my mom, but it's 750 miles one way, and all highway and I have pondered throwing a 17T on to lower the RPMS for the highway. But for daily riding? No way Jose'

Josh
I'm running 17/42 now (I take a lot of long trips with my club). The gearing is a definite plus on gas mileage (I'm no longer frantically searching for a gas station at 120 miles now), and cruising speeds. I now get 125 -130 miles before switching to reserve ( and then another 25-35 miles on reserve -- depending on how hard we're riding). I used to cruise @100mph at just over 7K RPM, now it's right above 6K. I'm also able lay the speedo over at 180 mph at around 11K in 6th gear and it's still pulling :crazyloco.

As far as everyday riding, I just have to carry my gears a little higher in the rev range and downshift a little more now, but it still pulls the same...I did take a little while to get used to though.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm running 17/42 now (I take a lot of long trips with my club). The gearing is a definite plus on gas mileage (I'm no longer frantically searching for a gas station at 120 miles now), and cruising speeds. I now get 125 -130 miles before switching to reserve ( and then another 25-35 miles on reserve -- depending on how hard we're riding). I used to cruise @100mph at just over 7K RPM, now it's right above 6K. I'm also able lay the speedo over at 180 mph at around 11K in 6th gear and it's still pulling :crazyloco.

As far as everyday riding, I just have to carry my gears a little higher in the rev range and downshift a little more now, but it still pulls the same...I did take a little while to get used to though.
I've always wondered what the difference is in the fuel capacities between the 93-95 and the 96+. Cruising back and forth to work I net 50+ mpg and can easily get 150+ miles before reserve.

I should say, I have only hit reserve once the entire time I have had my bike... since 1998! So, in reality, I am not truly sure how far I can go before reserve. But I usually fill up between 125-145 miles.

Seems the P Model guys can never really get much more than 125 before hitting reserve.

Josh

·
Registered
77 Posts
It really depends on my riding style if I am just relaxing on the throttle i get way better gas millage 35~45mpg however if I am on it hard it drops down to 25~26 mpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts