Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering like after how many miles your supposed to oil your chain and if there is a clean way to do it? I heard every 600 so thats what i've been doing but every time I lube it gets messy!!!! I get oil on the tire all over the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
WD-40 dude a little bit goes a long way and its always good to do it after it gets wet or everytime you change the oil. why not sicne your working on it anyway

·
Registered
234 Posts
WD-40 should theoretically not be used. It's a very good penetrating agent and can get in and eat away the lubricant behind the O-rings.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

I have one of those Grunge Brushes talked about in the article, and it came with motorcycle chain specific cleaner/degreaser. I follow up with some Honda teflon lubricant.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Here's my experience with maintaining rear chains:

Using oil to lube the chain is not clean, as to offer enough lubrication, it gets flung off too easily. Scottoilers (automatic oilers) are an option for long distance riding but there is extra maintenance cleaning oil off the back of the bike. I tried a Scottoiler in all weathers & was not that impressed.

I prefer to use a spray on chain lube (WD40 is not a chain lube). I have tried Silkolene chain lube & Castrol chain wax, both are okay & don't fling too much, Castrol slightly less messy in application. Relube as required, hard riding or wet conditions will need lube more often. I used to carry the can in my rucksack when commuting in wet & relubed it luchtime if needed for the ride home (35 miles) & relube late evening. Leaving a while before riding gives the solvents a chance to evaporate off, less fling.

For cleaning the chain I tried the stuff that comes in spray cans but that is messy & not that effective. Best is kerosene, it is cheap & effective, still messy but a good way to clean up the chain is to take the rear wheel off, replacing the sprocket carrier & axle so you can give the chain a thorough clean without taking the swinging arm off. Use WD40 sparingly on a cloth & wipe onto the side plates to help keep rust at bay.

If lubing the rear suspension linkage & swinging arm, then use as an opportunity to give the chain & sprockets a good clean.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is no debate. WD-40 will eventually wreck your chain. It might be before the normal lifetime of the chain is over, it might not. But I'm not going to use it. And you shouldn't either :) But it is really cheap.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anyone know how much a new chain would run you?
If you are replacing your chain, you should probably replace your rear sprocket as well. Somewhere around a couple hundred bucks. When I lube my chain (usually every 2nd tank of gas)I ride to get the chain hot then I put the bike on the rear stand, throw a drop cloth under the chain/rear tire. I find the master link and use it as a reference starting/ending point. I use the chain wax, I lubricate the inside of the chain (while rotating the rear tire) concentrating on the o-ring/x-ring and the rollers then spray the outside using my same reference point. Heres a vid... http://youtube.com/watch?v=VB7yMQkp_78&mode=related&search=

·
Registered
498 Posts
In my opinion, i strongly suggest you get yourself Scottoiler automatic chain lube. I've done 12k kms without any kind of glitch... Every 1000km, i just spray the WD40 onto tissues and wipe away around the rim area and that's it. Not forgetting to mention, while lubing, it also keeps the chain clean..

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you are replacing your chain, you should probably replace your rear sprocket as well. Somewhere around a couple hundred bucks. When I lube my chain (usually every 2nd tank of gas)I ride to get the chain hot then I put the bike on the rear stand, throw a drop cloth under the chain/rear tire. I find the master link and use it as a reference starting/ending point. I use the chain wax, I lubricate the inside of the chain (while rotating the rear tire) concentrating on the o-ring/x-ring and the rollers then spray the outside using my same reference point. Heres a vid... http://youtube.com/watch?v=VB7yMQkp_78&mode=related&search=
+1 +1 +1

Thats the wa. i do mine every 600 to 700 km. If i ride in the rain or in dirt i also give it a clean and lube. I get about 25000 to 30000 out of a chain and its still usually good for another 5000 k after i take it off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Try PB Blaster, that stuff that breaks lose bolts amazingly. The bottle says that it is O-ring safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts