Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a couple suggestions from some of you seasoned riders. I'm just a daily rider as of now. I MAY get into going to track days but that will be later on when I have the time and the coin to get into it. So with me being a daily around town type rider, what chain would you suggest? How about brake pads? I just need something simple and not break the bank. If you think a brake rotor should be changed(nothing wrong with mine, just planning for you guys who think way outside the box) or something should be swapped out, keep in mind that I have simple tools but I am pretty mechanically inclined. So that swap should be a direct replacement/fit part as well as easily done with simple hand tools.

I don't mind getting dirty but I don't have the necessary tools to do certain things unfortunately so simplicity does it. I want to shave some weight off the bike, maybe with rim changes or a swingarm swap, or something of that nature but I don't have the tools on hand. Hell, I don't even know anyone with bigger simple tools like a compressor and an air ratchet.(I've lived here for roughly a year so I don't know many people to borrow tools from and such.) I'm not really into making a bike go faster(since they are already fast, you just have to find it in the bike and yourself IMO), but I'd love for my bike to be a bit more nimble.

I've had a guy offer me $3k for my bike and I told him to give me a couple months to think about it so I'm gonna do what I want to it until I make up my mind. Normally, when I start modding while I'm thinking about getting rid of something, I fall back in love with it all over again. I've done that with my car 3 times now. :rofl

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot to mention that my bike has the swing arm extension blocks on it as well. So I guess another question is will I have to order a special length chain for it or will a standard chain be long enough out of the box? Or will I have to order 2 chains in order to compensate for the standard length chains?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
ebc pads are pretty good, ive had them on two different bikes now. but i was recently recommended SBS brake pads from my race bike builder friend and so far im happy with them but im still breaking them in.

regarding chains, at a minimum an o-ring chain, x-ring is better. DID and RK both make good chains. DO NOT i say DO NOT buy a non o-ring chain... you will be replacing it again in a few thousand miles (my brother made that mistake). as far as length goes just count the number of links your current chain and order the same. stock chain is usually a 110 link chain but depending on how long your extension is it may be a 120 or possibly a 130 link chain(one link is equal to one tooth on your sprocket)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bro. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy the sprocket and chain since things came up today. I did get around to getting some brake pads, oil, and friction plates. I figured that's the safe way to go since my chain and sprockets are in good condition. Quick question though. Are JT sprockets OK? I read somewhere on here that they're good. There's a guy on eBay selling chain and sprocket kits with JT sprockets and custom length chains. Only issue is in the eBay ad e says he only has up to 43t rear sprockets. I'm gonna call him tomorrow to see if he has, or can get, 45t rear sprockets. If not, I'll just order a chain from him and sprockets elsewhere.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160716086584&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=22045042536

1 - 4 of 4 Posts