Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me start by saying hello to all. I am the proud owner of a 04 ZX636R. I am in need of a chain swap and I could use some advise. I don't really push the bikes top speed potential but I love the twists. I was considering uping the sprocket size in the rear to get a bit more out of the lower gears. I figure I lose some top end but not sure how much. What do you all think? Also X vs O link chains.

· Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Well, welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, doing a +2 in the rear is not a bad idea. Just be sure to get a new front sprocket as well. Just keep in mind, when you start changing gearing, your speedo will get messed up. It will read faster then you really are and your miles will add up like the US debt.
This can be solved by getting a speedo healer.
I could be wrong, but I think a Xring is suppose to be stronger then the O, yet I'm not 100% sure.
Good luck

· Registered
426 Posts
personally I went with -1/+2, you could do just -1 or +2.... and Xring are the best to get. try to get a chain tool kit also (chain breaker, chain press, and rivit tool) or you could do the back yard way and use a cut off wheel and vise grips

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think about the odom or speedom. Thanks. So if I go +2 in the back, do you guys recommend -1 in the front or just replace. I am worried that both may be too aggressive for street and lose too much on hwy. How much different is your ride 432? I wanna keep turn exits smooth

I priced out a D.I.D. X chain. I will prob go with that.

Never heard of a "speed healer" what is that and where do I get one?

· Premium Member
3,168 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.