Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If nothing else...go through your bike and take a look at your Kawi where wires run through tie downs. Not sure if thats exactly what theyre called or not. Usually the head of a bolt holding down a plastic covered 1/2 in. wide aluminum wire tie that bends over to hold wires in place. Problem is...all wiring should have a plastic shroud/tube around it to protect it. In '99 they missed some all the way through today and its still happening. Guy at the shop says he pulled the wiring on the lights of a '06 ZX6R with the same prob. The uncovered/unprotected wires (other than their own insulation) get pushed down and grounded out on the head of the bolt that is holding the tiedown in place....thereby costing you $368 for a new CDI....thank you Kawi engineers. :banghead
Nothing like powering past 2 semi's on a 2 lane highway and having everything die right then and there. Oil light came on and I tried to pop it as I was slowly coming to a stop on the side of the road. Bike turned over cleanly with no sounds or apparent probs. Pulled the fairings and the tank (that toolkit really works) to find nothing, other than what sounded like a faint short in a wire as I moved some things around.
Question is....are there alternatives for an OEM CDI box? Something aftermarket?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I got zx9r 2001. I took off the frame to polish it. When I put the bike back I couldn't fire the engine. After few days I found that CDI is broken. I bought another and engine fired with no problem. Everything was ok for 4 days. And than again CDI got fired. Can You tell me wher I will find those cables that You were talking about.
PS. in my country You can fix CDI for small money :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one that fryed/grounded out on my 9 are right under the front of your front seat. Not sure if they have changed em or not since then. Ended up purchasing a new one for $350+...sent multiple emails to Kawi.com and no reply...of course. Just follow the lines from your oil sensor all the way to the CDI and that should lead you all the way there, as that line feeds into the CDI.
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts