Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

CCT noise.... or worse??

15K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  92Ninjas 
#1 ·
I have an 07 and I just rolled over 13k miles. I took it to my local shop and had them try and adjust the auto CCT and said they couldn't do it because of the pin not moving or something like that. They have gone ahead and ordered an APE CCT and I will be having it installed next Wednesday. Everyone at the shop thinks its the CCT ( 2 of the guys have 636's and have gone through the same thing ), I just wanted y'alls opinion too since y'all haven't failed me yet! Should I NOT be riding it while it's making this noise? If so I'll park it until next Wednesday. Gracias!

I just made this video with the noise, hopefully it gets the point across.

#2 ·
Yep, that is exactly how mine sounded like around 11k miles.. It is really easy to adjust the auto CCT, I just followed the steps in a how-to i found on kawiforums. The sound completely vanished, sounded like a brand new bike afterwards.. You are going a better route though with a manual CCT. here is the link just incase you wanted to adjust the auto CCT yourself..

http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/95636-how-adjust-factory-cct-636-a.html

#4 ·
yeah my old video sounds exactly like that, im sure you can find it on here somewhere. Ordered APE CCT, adjusted it till the cam chain had a little bit of slack but not too much, and now no noise, no whine. its perfect. I didnt guess i took the cam cover off and made sure the chain was perfect.

#9 ·
I am so glad I just read this. I too am having this noise..Did it start off quieter and then over time get gradually louder at each ride? So this is an adjustment of the timing chain not adjusting the valves correct? I will be checking the valve lash anyways while im in there. And also is this something to not ride the bike at all until it's fixed?

#10 ·
How many miles is on your bike? checking for valve lash should come around 12-15k miles according to manual. I had 12k on mine when i did the cct adjustment and the noise is completely gone, so if your under that mileage i would just do the cct adjustment... and yes the sound does gradually get worse over time, not sure if it's safe or not, all i know is that i rode mine for 5 months with it being loud before i knew what it was...

#13 ·
go to the zx10 section, you may get more help there :/

#17 ·
Hi everyone...I had the same problem the ticking (sounded like a tractor on start up especially when cold). Anyways did some research etc as it was first bike zx6r 03 bh1 and found the common problem of the cct and to fix get a APE man tensioner which I did, got my local garage to fit it and I to was jumping for joy when he started it up and it purred like a dream. Took it home (it was sh*t weather so didn’t gun it) and then it has sat in my garage awhile as I aint had chance to get out on it until yesterday when me and our lass did 200miles on a blast. Now from this ride I have noticed it to whine from 6000rpm and if I hang around it it’s like a constant pitch roll on and I think it gets louder I can only explain it to sound like a super charger whirling up. Now could it be the cct is too tight? Or could it be something else as I aint to sure if it is there in 1st and 2nd gear I know it’s there in 3rd and above. It starts to get muffled out as I have a mivv gp can on it it howls like a banshee...also I vagley remember hearing this whine before I had the APE cct put in but in the distance and not as loud when I first got the bike I think hahah sorry for being vague. Now could it be that it’s meant to sound like that and the stock cct was that slack it wasn’t prominent or you think it is too tight? Or could it be totally none related and be coming from the sprockets and chain...but come to think of it when I pulled the clutch in it went away so it couldn’t be that otherwise it would do it regardless of that...or could it be something else none related and me being paranoied ?!

#18 ·
Its too tight. Loosen it a bit, take off your valve cover and make sure its not too tight or too loose.

#20 ·
did mine last night!!! what a difference.....

#21 ·
I have an 07 and I just rolled over 13k miles. I took it to my local shop and had them try and adjust the auto CCT and said they couldn't do it because of the pin not moving or something like that. They have gone ahead and ordered an APE CCT and I will be having it installed next Wednesday. Everyone at the shop thinks its the CCT ( 2 of the guys have 636's and have gone through the same thing ), I just wanted y'alls opinion too since y'all haven't failed me yet! Should I NOT be riding it while it's making this noise? If so I'll park it until next Wednesday. Gracias! I just made this video with the noise, hopefully it gets the point across.
So I rode my bike to work and back like that about 40 mins total and it seems like I have no torque when I try to ride does anyone know if I messed it up or jumped timing it still sounds like that I tried to adjust my auto cct Before I went to work also and it didn’t do anything

#22 ·
Have you done anything else to the bike maintenance wise? Spark plugs? Air filter? Maybe you got some bad fuel? How old is the bike? Did it sit for more than a month? Does it make any additional noises than normal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.