Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I thought I'd start an actual thread about this instead of adding new stuff to the one with the questions.

incase anyone isn't up to speed, I'm swapping cbr600rr rims onto my existing zx7r forks and swingarm. starting at the rear.

I'm still waiting on a cush drive and an 07 zx6r rear shock before I tear into this. hopefully it'll come tomorrow and then i'll get it together, then start ordering parts for the front end.

here's a pic of the 45t 520 sprocket I had to get as the stock cbr one is 525 and 43t.
it's steel, because the aluminum one i have on my bike now has 2.5 seasons on it and is worn OUT. don't wanna pay for that again.

(PICTURE REMOVED)

here's a pic of the cbr wheel spacers, which will be added to on either side to center the wheel

See you tomorrow with more parts! #crossingmyfingers

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Semantics... but those looks like wheel axle spacers and not bearings

Josh

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almost done!

So i have everything done with the wheel, and now i need to just get my new tire on it and swap the shocks.

Does anyone have a picture or can describe to me what i need to do to the battery box bracket for the zx6r shock to clear it?

Here's where I started.

Here's the extra spacers that I had to use to center the rotor in the caliper, they had a 22mm inside diameter that I turned out to 25mm.

And here it is.

and yeah, the shop is messy, but give me a break!
ha, so this afternoon I hopefully have it finished up!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
must be nice to have a lathe :rolleyes

·
Registered
449 Posts
Did all it take was a set of different spacers to align the sprockets on this honda 5.5" rim? I gather that you are using a honda cush drive too. Did you have to do any machining to it for the sprockets to line up?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, to be honest, the stock cbr wheel spacer put the sprocket right where it needed to be.

also, i had to remove some material from the caliper and bracket to make it not rub on the cbr wheel hub.. hence the grinders in the picture. :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so this bike has 405XX miles on it and the rear shock was pretty worn out. here's an 07 zx6r shock that i swapped on. I wouldn't recommend this shock for most people as i had to mill out the bottom bracket, and then make my own dog bones for it. but the shock feels great! such an improvement over the worn out stocker, it feels like a new bike.

its sprung pretty dang heavy and right now it's set at 15/30 clicks and is still pretty harsh. it must just be the way the zx6r is set up.

home made dog bones.

the bike feels like a dream going down the road now, and i can't wait till my parts come in to do the front end! :crazyloco

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of my parts for the front end will be here tomorrow, so today I fired up the lathe and went ahead and turned out a new front bearing race that fits inside the cbr wheel as well as accommodates the zx7r front bearings (25mm)

it's steel, so although its thinner it will be just as strong, if not stronger than the stock aluminum one. it also weighs about the same due to it being thinner.

here's a teaser on the front wheel..

:rolleyes

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done

So, It's all done now here's a few pics.

started by hoisting it up. notice the back end is done:

Here's where i started on the front end:

Got here pretty quickly:

Painted the lowers of the forks, made wheel spacers, and installed the new disks:

Kind of a mess:

BOOM!

Overall i am REALLY happy with how the bike looks and feels after this project. It comes in and out of corners beautifully, and the brakes feel great.
the rear wheel was SO much lighter, the front wheel only weighed in at 2.2 lbs lighter, but that was with no rotors. and the new ones are far lighter than the stock ones.
To finish this project off I'll probably get the race intake ducts (mostly just for looks/bling factor). And also get my gearing squared away, because right now i am still at 16/43. 15/45 here I come.

This thread has been pretty quiet besides me posting progress, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?? :smile

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
This is an awesome build... every bit of it is hand made on machines that 97% dont own or cant get our hands on though...

so +1 for the build

and :thefinger for all your fancy lathe and tools

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice work. Is the cbr front axle 25 mm in diameter too?

I found that when I put a zx-6r front wheel on my bike, all it took was trying different sized 25 mm diameter spacers and large washers.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no, the cbr wheel is a 22mm front axle, I forgot to mention that i had to buy new zx7r wheel bearings. they were paired with the bearing race i made to make the rim accept the zx7r axle. then i just measured the space i needed and turned out new wheel spacers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Would you know what the front cbr rim weighed without rotors and tire? I weighed the stock zx7r front rim some time ago, and I think it was around 10.8 lbs (4.9 kg). So if my math is correct, the cbr rim should be around 8.6 lbs, which is really significant drop in weight. Can you confirm the weight of the cbr front rim by itself?

BTW, I weighed the newer five spoke kawasaki rims found on zx10s (04-10) and they were 9.7 lbs (4.43 kg).

·
Registered
674 Posts
The mass of the ZX10 wheel is supposedly more centralized, reducing gyroscopic force, allowing quicker turn-in.

I got a set of Braking/OZ rims recently and while they don't feel much lighter (just from picking them up) you can see 9 spokes distributes mass more evenly around the outside and packs more in closer to the hub.

I guess what this translates into is you don't get the acceleration/braking benefits of super light wheels but they will improve handling.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actually, loosing rotating mass in anyway will make a difference. whether it's felt in flicking the wheel from left to right, or accelerating (positive or negative)

if the two different wheels were to weigh the same, the one with the mass being more centralized will give both the improvements listed above; as that one will take less torque to accelerate it. and it will also have less rotating inertia (for side to side motions)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Joel ... how did you adjust for the rotors? You must have found a set of 320 mm rotors that fit the honda rim? I thought cbr600 rotors for that rim were either 300 or 310 mm. Which model of honda rim then uses a 320 mm front rotor that has a bolt pattern to fit the honda rim you're using?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its took a lot of research, but the 06/07 cbr1000rr uses the same front wheel, but 320mm rotors.

the rotor spacing differs by about a millimeter or so. this is not a problem. just space the rotors in the middle of the calipers and all is well.

Don't forget that if you really want to do this swap, you'll also have to buy a new set of zx7r bearings. and make your own bearing race to go with the new spacers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
its took a lot of research, but the 06/07 cbr1000rr uses the same front wheel, but 320mm rotors.

the rotor spacing differs by about a millimeter or so. this is not a problem. just space the rotors in the middle of the calipers and all is well.

Don't forget that if you really want to do this swap, you'll also have to buy a new set of zx7r bearings. and make your own bearing race to go with the new spacers.
Thanks for the information. I swapped out the front rim with a zx-6r (J-model) to drop some weight. It was easy, since the bolt spacing and off-set on the rotors and the axle (25 mm) for both bikes is the same. Simply transfer zx7r rotors to zx6r (J model) rim. You'll need to use a few thin spacer perhaps. Cant' recall exactly, for I removed the speedo drive.

I just got back from a track day, the first with this bike, and I have to replace the front springs, for they are too soft to ride the advanced level pace. I'm thinking of doing a complete swap of front ends - forks, triples, etc. Knowing that the cbr rim is really light (lighter than all of the zx6r rims, '98-'12) and now knowing that the cbr1000 has 320 mm rotors to fit that rim, I'm tempted to throw a honda front end on there.

I know I would really like my zx7r forks, if I get the 9.5 springs in them (stocks are 8.5). I prefer ride height adjustment (zx7r forks) any day over preload adjustment, once the proper springs are in them. This offers easy adjustments at the track to deal with possible head shake, turn-in, running wide, etc. Why don't I do it? I'm thinking that there is a lot of weight to be lost with a front end swap, which is the number one priority for me. I want the bike down to fighting weight, so the zx7r forks may be swapped for a lighter front end. It's a tough decision.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was in the same spot as you when i was considering what i wanted to do with my front end. but i came down to pretty much exactly what I wanted. Changing to zx10r forks will change the steering rake, and I definitely didn't want that.

the only thing i would like to do eventually is still swap on the 4 pot calipers, as they're lighter. some braided lines would be cool too. and i'm sure i'll get there next season. but i'm about done with mods for this summer.

except I'm due for a new battery and i'm sure i new lighter one is in order.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts