Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’m not sure how the plate from a 7R would fit onto ZX9 carbs, they are different. Carb body sizes are different and air boxes are different. Any photos to show how it fit?
kawasaki carbs (1).jpg kawasaki carbs (2).jpg at the top is the old ZX7R carbs and fitted to the bike is the ZX9R C with the plate used from the 7R and some small pipe rework.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The resistor is only there to prevent excessive electrical noise eminating from the spark, not an issue on bikes but in cars you would hear it if you listened to AM radio. All resistors go higher in value as they breakdown.
I didn't know you could take them out, you may have to replace the resistor with some wire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Problem solved :)
I started with the carbs and after 10 times taking apart and resetting, nothing worked. I bought a set of carbs from a ZX9RC and fitted them, still wont start. Bought coils, no change, bought plugs, no change, bought ECU unit, no change, bought plug caps, no change, I even thought of buying a new switch unit, and I thought of buying a new bike by then. I thought again and decided this is not going to beat me.
I stripped the bike of all fairings to access all the wiring and just a visual check of all the joints and cables, pulled all plugs off and stripped all black tapes off to expose a few dodgy looking areas.
Put the meter across all the joints and got even more confused with the numbers showing randomly.
I found three possible issues.
1) cable and joints from the stand 2) cables leading to the switch on the clutch side 3) chaffed cables passing the alternator beneath the coils oh and a dodgy looking earth cable just below the ECU unit coming from the battery to the frame.
sorted them all and the bike started singing and dancing again, joy oh joy, music to my ears not to mention the neighbors having to put up with me over the last few days cranking the engine all the time.

The moral of the story here is; Don't rush to buy this and that trying to fix the problem, spend some quality time stripping the bike and checking all the joints,even when they look good as they are, they just may not be making a good contact.
I will test run the bike tomorrow to see how the zx9r carbs behave, but they should be good, as the bike started without me tampering with them in the first place. Now that I know the problem was electrical, I know that my old carbs are good too.
Thanks for all the help and advise offered here and I hope my findings here can help someone else with the same sort of problems.

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
Glad to hear it is sorted. 👍
Thanks for the photos, I never thought that swap would work due to the plate and manifolds being different size.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi all, just thought to update you with how I got on with the zx9 carbs on my zx7, just in case you might want to know.
The carbs worked a treat, in as much as it idled smoothly, reved up smoothly and easy to fit, but at very high revs and under heavy acceleration the bike sounded like it could do with a bit more fuel and could deliver more torque, or sounded like the bike made a lot more noise but short on effort.
I have taken the carbs off to examine the jets and it is fitted with 155 main jets right across the 4 carbs. I guess that is te correct setting for ZX9s and ZX7s have 185 on 1&4 and 165 on 2&3.
to try and make sense of it all, I guess the 900cc engine has more muscle, so need less fuel to move the same weight bike as the 750 will need more fuel to make up for the shortage of the 150cc.
What do you think?
Now that I have the bike running, I will try putting back the original 7rs carbs with larger jets back in and see if my theory is right.
I can't wait till this Virus business is over, so I can make my trip to Alicante, Spain again. I have made this journey a few times with different ZX7Rs and twicw with an R1, but despite a few near misses, I enjoyed the journey of 1470 miles door to door.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts