Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am still in the process of going through my new bike ( 88 750R) and have now run across this issue...
1- bike would not run due to old nasty gas in tank- I drained the gas, cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines.. put fresh gas and some seafoam in the tank
2- it took a while for all of the bad gas to get through the system, but finally it fired up and now appears to idle/ rev great

- yesterday was the day that it finally started and ran as expected

the problem now is that i found a big puddle of gas under the bike this morning- it looks like the center two carbs are leaking gas-

any ideas? it was not leaking before- this just started once I got it running well.

if I need to rebuild the carbs can someone post a link to a good comprehensive kit that does not break the bank
or if you know of a tech in NJ that does house calls for a very reasonable price- that works as well :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do yoiu know if the carbs are leaking or are they getting overloaded by a faulty diaphram in the fuel pepcock?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it looks like just the center 2 carbs are leaking- they are leaking from the small venturi openings on the carbs-
my petcock or fuel tap as they call it is very questionable and judging by the amount of gas on the engine and the floor it has to be allowing gas to flow- there was about 10-12 oz of gas on the engine and floor

would a faulty petcock cause this?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Yes it would. The fuel is probably from leaky float needles, and the leaky petcock is why the fuel keeps going into the bowls.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
My first question is do you turn off the fuel at the petcock every time you shut off the bike. This was never stated or clarified.
If not, then a leaking petcock would be entirely moot, because it isn't being shut off.

Even if the petcock is pissing like a race horse while shut off, the BIGGER problem is the leaking needles.
Leaking needles will allow excess fuel into the bowls during operation. This takes priority over a a fuel shutoff device which otherwise is not leaking fuel externally to the system.

Christi, I know you know your old 7, but you have a habit of jumping to leaky petcocks.

I think you just like to say pet-cock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MS- there is no fuel shutoff, The part that we keep calling the petcock is what stops the fuel flow.

Just to be clear- as you look at the intake side of the carbs ( where the airbox would be) there are a total of 3 openings in addition to the main opening...
top- a narrow slit running along the top of the carb opening
bottom- two small holes at the lower part of the carb opening
all three of these are in the carb opening and in the air path

I have pods on my bike so it is easy to see... outside carbs appear fine/dry inner set of carbs appear wet- leaking from all 3 openings

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Here is a pic of the openings I am talking about- these are not my carbs- just a pic I pulled from the web
* also note that in this pic the carbs are upside down-

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw- I ended up getting a complete carb set rather than playing with the originals. my reasoning was that I could take the new set apart if needed and mix/match parts. it actually worked out well- the new carbs do not seem to be leaking at all ( knock on wood) and once my shoulder is feeling better I will finally go on a test drive after putting the bike back together.

Unfortunately it looks like I may not be able to keep it since the job situation has not improved :(

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
No Squidge. I would rather him fix the carb issue first as that can lead to all sorts of running and reliability issues. A leaky fuel tap is second to repairs. I just rebuilt mine as it would leak even when shut off. Sucks when you have a puddle of gas on the floor when you have to take off the tank for carb tuning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts