Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had this beat but it just keeps coming back. My carbs are set at 15.5mm floats and 2.5 turns out. I have the kleen mod/airbox/float mods. I tried blowing through the fuel line and that was ok as well. I had it running a couple of times and idiling good. I changed the oil and bam, it started flooding again. The bowls are clean, I just put in a new fuel pump and lines/filter, I have a new battery that's kept on a trickle charger. I am wondering if I am getting a weak spark or something. Any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update....I pulled the plugs and found the plug on cylinder two was black/sooty. Cylinder 1 was wet and the 3 & 4 were good. I got it running pretty good again but the new problem is after I shut the bike down the #1 carb loads up with fuel. I shut the bike down with the kill switch, pull the airbox cover and look into the first carb. It looks good for a second then all of a sudden fuel starts bubbling up from where the needle slides down. It's the craziest thing. I also noticed I have clear fluid dripping from the the exhaust flange where the muffler bolts on and I have a little whiteish smoke. Possibly moisture from sitting for 5 years?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
try turnning off your fuel tap about 3/4 a mile out before you park it... it will solve that prob... the pressure from the tank is flooding the floats... had the same problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have my tank hooked up. It's not even on the road yet...I am trying to get this figured out. I am using an aux tank suspended above the bike. Something else that just started to happen is twice when I hit the starter I heard a crack noise. When I tried to start it again it fired up fine. Sounds like my starter possibly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been trying to get it running right to sync the carbs.

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
Have you replaced the float needle and seats?
I think about 85% to 90% of the time you can reuse them, but they do fail. A thourough inspection will usually tell if they have any inperfections that could allow them to leak. I have even used a magnifying glass to check them out, but I am getting old...
Anyway, if you have tried everything else it may be time to just replace them.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
+1 to what Riley said.

Sounds familiar for some reason. :rolleyes

e1_ZX-9r said:
I had a float stick after cleaning the pilot air passages on my new bike. It started up great and thankfully my next step was a sync, b/c as the bike started to stumble (sounded like a twin). As it continued to idle I looked into the intakes and saw bubbles of gasoline trickling passed one jet needle. WTF? Drained that carb, dropped the float bowl, tickled the float, and reassembled. Fixed.

It happens.
You'll need to disassemble the float needle components and clean and/or replace them on #1 & # 2.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had them replaced when I had the carbs done. After pulling the plugs I did a fresh connection at the plug boot and reassembled everything. I started it twice and no pooling at the #1 carb. So feeling confident I put the tank on and took it down the road. She ran pretty good and with a small twist of the throttle she even jumped! But as I came back around and stopped at a sign she died. She started back up but ran rough the 100ft or so back to the house and died again as I coasted down the driveway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll pull the tank and see what I have going on. Getting closer I think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Found out why she stalled, drum roll please...........I put the F$&!ing fuel knob on wrong. I put it on off to run the gas out and the bike kept running, i shut it off and went to pull the fuel line and out came the gas. Luckily I had a cup there so no mess. I turned the knob to on and the gas shut off......amazing. :dunno Well I guess I will change the knob and move on to syncing it. :banghead

1 - 10 of 10 Posts