Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I recently purchased a 1989 Zx10. its a bit of a basket case but low miles and mostly there and runs (kinda).

Here is the problem:

Bike will strong on what appears to be all cylinders for a moment then die about 5-10 seconds later. I go down to the fuel pump and I can almost hear it "stuggling" to maintain pressure. Then I wait another 30secs, and it starts right back up and does the same thing. I can do this over and over again if I want.

Now I'm thinking - clearly the fuel pump is bad (I rewired it just to make sure it was getting power). Is my thinking correct or is there some other gotcha in the system?

Also I'm wondering, how can I replace this pump? I obviously want to stay away from the original kawasaki (too expensive). Does the pump shut off when the carbs are full or is it just a constant low pressure pump? Is it possible to use a low pressure automobile pump to replace it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought I had the same problem, it actually turned out the pump was ok but I replaced it anyway. I just got a used one at the local cycle shop. Call around to the local shops and dismantlers. I tried a fuel pump from kragen with little luck but maybe if you know what ur doin you could get it going. I took the pump apart and figured out how it works. It only runs when the fuel pressure drops, so it constantly cycles on and then right back off. If you take the black cover off the side and watch it when the bike is running you should see that the plunger will slide down into the pump slowly, and when it gets too low the pump kicks on for a second to keep fuel pressure. I think this should happen every two seconds at idle but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wanted to say thanks. The fuel pump is actually perfect I cleaned the carbs and the bike runs great now. The pump sounds like it's slowly dying because as pressure is built up, the pump moves slower and slower.
Makes sense!
Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.