Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent 2 years collecting broken motorcycles and now its time to fix or part them. I got 2 ex250 bikes to make 1, I can only get one to run in full ckoke, as soon as it starts it revs up like its at full throttle, as soon as you back of the choke at all it dies. I have cleaned and changed the carbs 3 times on both sets of carbs and everytime it changes nothing..:rant If I throttle it about half way and pull the choke off i can keep it running at 2000 plus rpm, but if it gets any lower it dies. I cant locate any vacum leaks, and the next time i spill gas taking the tank off for the tenth time i'm just going to light it and push it outside. I am an auto mechanic (chevy) so this bike work is new to me. Any advise? Thanks Joe

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well, I dont want to sound like Capt. Obvious here, but.
It is either not enough fuel OR not enough fire.

What happens if you turn your idle up more to maintain idle?
Will it hold?
This is assuming it is running good at 2000 plus rpm this might
fix your prob.

For the fire end of it,
are you sure you have a full charge on the battery?
At higher rpms all will seem ok, but lower it dies out.
(at least on my Z1s and KZs it will)
Plug gaps fine and jumping good strong spark?
No breakdown in the wires?

Some times its the simple things.
I spent 3 hours once looking at "carb probs" on my 74 900 and
the whole time I had a plug wire off.:banghead
(talk about feeling stupid)

I can feel you pain Bro. Hope it works out for ya, soon too.
"Im just going to light it and push it outside." lol

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a fuel problem!!!

I took a break from the 250 bike and dismantled a 90 zx1100c that has been parked since 91 in a barn. this bike had beautiful black paint still on it, everything else that was metal looks like I fished it out of the bottom of the ocean (salt water being the key) everything has major corrosion on it. Tires wont roll, Chain wont flex, Its destroyed. Had 4000 miles on it. Anyway I put the motor on my 94 zx1100d. I had to use an ice pick and carve out the aluminum corrosion in the plug holes to find the plugs. I pulled the plugs WD-40 in the cylinders cleaned the plugs, turned over the motor to blow out the WD-40, installed the plugs, primed the carbs, and it started up like it was rode yesterday. After reassembling the rest of the bike and rode it around the block I came back and stared at the 250 again for a minute.

After careful thought i realized the carbs have caps over several of the adjustment screws, I even knew they do that but wasn't thinking about it when I had them apart. Cleaned them and put them back on again. Didn't change anything. After finding an exploded view of kaw carbs I realized I wasn't pulling and cleaning the pilot jets. Now it runs perfect. hope we all can learn from my nightmares.

The 87 zx750f is next, I need a bunch of bolts or a motor buyer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts