Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Claude,

My bike (93 11c) is at the shop right now (Honda service center, a friend works there),
I had asked about a problem with a flat spot from 3k to about 4.5k rpm in an ealier thread. I have a full yosh exhaust & k&n filter. He is wanting to know where a good starting point would be for pjs, mjs & needle height. Not sure whats in it yet. He wanted to see what u thought before he tore into it. Need all the help we can get.

Thanks Tiny

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would have to agree with Zedhead...I done this on my bike last week which made a tremendous difference as far as throttle response and the flat spot..

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Oh, and sorry. I know this was addressed to Claude but thought I'd chim in as well.
ZEDhead1, no need to worry; everyone is welcome to post so feel free anytime!!

Like ZEDhead1 wrote, shimming the needles is the first step I would do. Almost every ZX-11 I read about have the 3k~4½k surge you wrote about. If it's your carburation's only flaw, go for it!!

Your 1993C4 have 140 MJ (Keihin) from the factory. If you already have a jet kit, and want to richen the mixture further still, a good starting point would be to install 145~150 MJ (Keihin), adjustable needles with clips in the 3rd groove and your air screws at 2½ turns. While you're at it, also have your float height checked. Stock height is 13 ± 2 mm and it is a good starting point too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey guys ,
Sorry if it seemed as though I was directing this post at Claude only. Last nite when I logged on I saw that Claude was logged on also & had hoped for some quick advise so I could tackle it today. Once again nothing personal towards anybody & I appreciate input from all. I'm new to this whole computer & forum thing. I don't even know how to refer to a quote when I want to comment in a post.

On the needles is that the third goove from top or bottom. Sorry for the dumb ?.

Thanks Tiny

I'll give your advice a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Groove number on needles is always beginning from top. #1 being the leanest, #2 a bit richer and so on.

However, most adjustable needles usually have five grooves so #3 could be the same whatever you count from top or bottom.

And trying to shim OEM needles before installing jet kit is a good advice

(NOTE: I post this again as I got it inverted the first time. Don't know what I was thinking...).

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Any idea what thickness the washer in post #2 is?
Usual shimming is between 1~2 mm (0.020"~0.040"). Washer being usually 1 mm thick, you simply need to use one or two under the needle's head. Regular M3 or 1/8" washers usually works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Oh and BTW, take note the MJ numbers I wrote are for Heihin jets. Factory Pro are using the same MJ but Dynajet are using a different scale. So, if you bought a Dynajet jet kit, the MJ to use are different...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts