Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my bike has been sitting up for about 7 yrs. First a shoulder injury then a leg... Not from the bike. OK so my question is, I worked on bike back in the 80's and did carb and forks and many other repairs. Tick Toc a head, I pulled the front for and replace seals, all good. I pulled the carbs and rebuilt them. So far so good, put them on, no leaks but when I start her up it is full throttle checked the cable and no issues there but can idle it down to set it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,875 Posts
Hey guys, my bike has been sitting up for about 7 yrs. First a shoulder injury then a leg... Not from the bike. OK so my question is, I worked on bike back in the 80's and did carb and forks and many other repairs. Tick Toc a head, I pulled the front for and replace seals, all good. I pulled the carbs and rebuilt them. So far so good, put them on, no leaks but when I start her up it is full throttle checked the cable and no issues there but can idle it down to set it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Have the carbs been synced?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? (Carb boots @ the cylinder head, various vacuum lines, airbox integrity, etc)
Does the ISA (Idle Speed Adjustment) screw work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't synced yet, just got the carbs back together and was trying to check them out. Won't be able to sync carbs with airbox on. I did plug the lines that go to the carb
and it revs so fast and quick, I cut it off to make sure it doesnt over rev

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,875 Posts
I haven't synced yet, just got the carbs back together and was trying to check them out. Won't be able to sync carbs with airbox on. I did plug the lines that go to the carb
and it revs so fast and quick, I cut it off to make sure it doesnt over rev
Welp, you should at least do the Kleen Air Mod. Like it is shown in this post on a ZX7 . That will help with allowing the fuel to travel up through the passage of the Needle Jet (Main Jet).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welp, you should at least do the Kleen Air Mod. Like it is shown in this post on a ZX7 . That will help with allowing the fuel to travel up through the passage of the Needle Jet (Main Jet).
Thank you so much, I actually went ahead and pulled the carbs back down and double checked all the passage ways and ran a bread tie wire through the jets again one was still a lil stubborn so I worked on it a lil longer. Got it all back together and now she is running still lil high 4-5k but just need to do more adjustments now. One thing that has me puzzled is that the idle ajuster does not touch the throttle mechanism

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I understand correctly- when you start the engine, it races as if you have the throttle open? If that is the case it sounds like a massive air leak to me.
These carbs are difficult to seat properly sometimes, or you may have cracked vacuum caps on the inlet spigots (the ones used for carb synch). Check those first since it doesn't require carb removal.

Check to make sure the throttle butterflies are fully closed and do not bind, then do a bench synch (use a feeler gauge to adjust the butterflies).
If you don't have a manual: Kawasaki Ninja ZX-11 Manuals | ManualsLib

Let us know how it goes, we want you back on the road flying the colors!

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Completely disconnect throttle cables from carbs &/or handlebars. Open choke start bike. If engine still races. throttle linkage is jammed up. Verify slides are in full down position & jet needles are fully seated in MJ.

Also to verify, did you pull the PILOT JETS & clean them as well?

Reactions: TexasZXxer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the help, it was a variation of things. Pulled the carbs back off and recleaned everything and that did the trick. also capped the vaccum so now she is running good but master cylinder has to be rebuild, doing that now and the rear caliper but after rebuilding the caliper it is leaking where it goes together, check the lil o ring and looks ok but still leaking

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
The ZX11 can have finicky carbs. Small price to pay for the performance they give. Im not riding much anymore, but when I did I pulled them about every 4-5 years & cleaned them just in case. When u were cleaning them if you noticed any small black specks in the carbs anywhere, this is the fuel lines deteriorating.

Replace them as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts