Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone say if '96 ZX11d carbs could work on a '92 c model? I actually have d model exhaust. I know the twin air induction system is different, but what about where the air box mounts to the carbs? Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John, for that tip. So does that mean the D carbs wouldn't work on my C? (Testing for understanding... ...) Ed

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes they will work..but won't fit because the intakes on the c are shorter..therefore the air box and tank etc won't fit on properly. I've never tried putting on d's but I did put on kein 41 smooth bores and the intake manifolds are different in size for c and d. They sent me d's for my c and I didn't know..so end result was to modify everything to make it fit..it works..but it was a lot of work in doing so.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Are you sure? From all the reading I made over the years, you can interchange carburators from D to C and vice-versa with no problem at all. The only difference being larger main jets (D have 162-158-158-162 while 1990~1991½ C have 4 x 155 and 1991½~1993 C have 4 x 140).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Like I said Claude..I've never tried it but with the 41 smooth bores the d models have a one inch longer intakes then the c models...as for the stockers..they should be the same except for jetting..but ..are the intakes longer or the same?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
By "intake", do you mean the rubber adaptor bolted on the head or the section of the carb's body that enter through the rubber adaptors?

I am 100% sure both carbs (between C and D) interchange (same casted bodies) and that only jetting is different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to both of you for the info... not trying to get anyone into a snit... I wish I could just make my carbs work. The bike only has 8k on it and is in near showroom condition. I know all the sitting around its done hasnt helped the carbs. I've been thru them a few times, and found some clogging in certain air passages, and havent actually vatted them, but cleaned them well w/spray carb cleaner. (Im not new to m/c carbs). I know the jets are stock according to the fiche. They look like new inside and out. This last overhaul I 'gently' used tiny torch tip cleaners to clean, and now it runs worse than ever. I can get it to run too rich, or too lean, but never just right. (It was fowling plugs after about 50 miles, or less during its worst case scenerio). So I guess I've screwed them up or something... and I saw these D carbs for sale on this board so thought I'd ask... Thanks, guys... Ed

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not the rubber manifolds but the intakes on the carb body's. Are they the same (c&d) not sure? Maybe the 41 smooth bores have the longer intakes because of the double snorke and larger airbox?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I never had smoothbores available to look at them but OEM carb bodies are the same for C and D models; only jetting is different. I suppose smoothbores differs to OEM then.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Had a quick look at the Kawasaki parts lists & the part numbers are different but the carbs look the same.

If there is nothing amiss with the carbs it may be a blockage that you cannot get to. Modern fuel tends to gum everything up if it is allowed to evaporate off over a long period or in an older bike that has not covered much mileage. Have you used an airline to blow fuelways out?

It might pay to get the carb bodies & jets cleaned ultrasonically if you can find someone local to you that can do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all for your help. Yes, I ultimately think that I have blockage from evaporated fuel that wont wash loose. GOOD NEWS, however, the ZX 11D carbs that I bought from Mike B. from this board ( recent post selling parts from his blown motor) absolutely worked out fine and absolutely fixed my bike up! So I gambled $100 and won, and answered my own question!! They are completely interchangeable. Thanks to everyone! Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts