Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been working on a 94 500ex bike in a box project I got for free. there is a 3 way valve under the tank that has 2 hoses running from the valve cover to it and then 1 hose to the air box. There is a 1/4” line that runs off the top of the 3 way valve as well. I assume it’s to pull vacuum. I know I’m missing the carbon filter box that sits in front of the 3 way valve. Can I eliminate that box or is it needed? If so, can I run a tee to the 2 lines coming from the carbs and another tee to the diaphragm for the petcock to allow fuel to the carbs? The bike Has started a couple of times but only runs for a few minutes then stalls. I feel it’s starving of fuel. The carbs are freshly cleaned, it has a new battery as well. I’m also waiting to r new air filter to come in so at the Moment there is now air filter on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can you post a few photos of the parts you are describing? I am 90% sure that you are referring to the PAIR system, which exists solely for emissions purposes.The main benefit in removing it would be easier access to common maintenance areas under the tank.

Here is a link to a PAIR removal guide from the EX-500 forums.
https://www.ex-500.com/37-how-s-fyi/32908-lamp-one-designs-pair-removal-kit.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow what a huge help.. I’m gonna tear that all out tomorrow. I will make some plates out of stainless and use valve gasket sealant. So now my next question is how does the tank petcock diaphragm hose come into play.. I thought it was part of that whole pair system..

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow what a huge help.. I’m gonna tear that all out tomorrow. I will make some plates out of stainless and use valve gasket sealant. So now my next question is how does the tank petcock diaphragm hose come into play.. I thought it was part of that whole pair system..
Vacuum opens the petcock diaphragm . It should have a prime setting to let fuel flow freely . vacuum petcocks have been around since the 70's .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diagrams were vague so I’m gonna come off the left carb and cap the right since I’ve removed the PAIR System

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it’s firing on one cylinder so I gotta take it back apart and check the coil on the right cylinder. Hopefully it’s just a bad connection

1 - 10 of 10 Posts