Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently got burned on a zx9 deal on a nice looking 2000 but had quebec rebuilt tag, long story short just found a 2000 zx9 frame but has damage and huge crack, but has clean ontario ownership, guy in toronto says i could just use the title, so iam assuming that means some how swappping tags over to my frame or? anyone ever have to do anything like this? feels sketchy :headscratch

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Find out from your Department of Motor Vehicles. They don't know who you are, so asking the question will hold you harmless.

It is my understanding that there are two items that are serial numbered: frame & engine. The question for you becomes can you transfer the frame serial tag from cracked frame to your bike's frame. I don't think too many people will put up a fuss if you end up being the last owner of the bike. You get the registration you want and nobody at DMV will care. However, if you sell it, transferring the serial tag may raise some eyebrows. But again, ask DMV.

IMO, you're doing a good thing. :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
In the US thats illegal as hell no matter what the condition of the frame.

I hope you didn't just buy that junk frame, because afaik you can't just "use the title".

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes you can, it would be like you rebuilt the 2000 with the parts off your old bike. As long as the frame and title match, I say go for it. who cares about the motor. Tell them the motor blew and you replaced it with this one.. I would do it in a minute if it was me...

Just make sure the title matches the bike you are riding.... Some of the bikes have the vin number stamped in downtube.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Yes you can, it would be like you rebuilt the 2000 with the parts off your old bike. As long as the frame and title match, I say go for it. who cares about the motor. Tell them the motor blew and you replaced it with this one.. I would do it in a minute if it was me...

Just make sure the title matches the bike you are riding.... Some of the bikes have the vin number stamped in downtube.
All bikes have the vin stamped on the downtube, at least anything made in the last 30 years for sure.

And I will repeat myself, swapping a VIN is illegal as hell, even if you own the both of the frames. It doesn't make a lick of difference if the motor doesn't match. The DMV doesn't give a shit about that as long as it is not stolen. But the frame dictates everything about the bike as far as the paperwork is concerned.

Swapping the frame is perfectly fine. But the problem here is that the good title belongs to the broken frame. Unless you think he should swap to the broken frame and ride with that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Im saying if he can get the vins to match, who gives a shit. Answer Nobody....as long as you are paying the taxes on it, nobody will look. But that is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
129 Posts
....and you are right....about being illegal.....just saying I would do it in a minute to be on 2 wheels..:mfclap

·
Registered
188 Posts
Squidge is right. I built a harley a few years back and had it stolen. It dosent work that way , ive tried before. Actually ended up with a title for the motor and frame. Its not worth it and a pain in the ass. Just buy a good frame to rebuild.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Im saying if he can get the vins to match, who gives a shit. Answer Nobody....as long as you are paying the taxes on it, nobody will look. But that is my 2 cents.
Keep telling yourself that.

Just because you pay for the tag and shit doesn't mean they stop caring. Why would they when they can potentially get you with a much larger fine?

And as for nobody looking, there are plenty of places where there is a mandatory inspection every X amount of years, or to renew your registration. In which case they most certainly do "look".

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ill call dmv to see, whats up, dont mind bending law but dont want to be riding a trouble causing bike, but sucks i got burned so bad, planned on keeping this bike for a long time before finding this out,

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and no havnt bought junk frame yet, needed this info first seemed to sketchy to be that easy to just swap, just wondering if junk frame can be fixed and registered if done in ontario, going to look further into frames condition

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i couldnt do anything to get the bike reg'd so i had to let her go, traded it for another bike to a guy wanting a track bike, thanks for all your help,

make this a lesson learned, check your titles guys before handing over any cash, never take someones word

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it happened so quick lol put bike online for 3500 sunday hoping to snag a noob, was honest about title and monday got a call saying i have a 2000 gsxr 600 with a 750 motor many new parts nice bike some guy would trade if i rode my bike over if he liked, i ride his home and thats how it went almost too easy, over 2000 in aftermarket stuff on it, power programmer etc other than its a huge eyesore allstar model,

iam going to keep my eye out for another zx bike maybe a 10 depends what comes along, love my gixxers but zx bikes are still my fav for all around great bikes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts