Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..

I'm new here, but may be around awhile....all depends on your answer. I sold my XX back at the beginning of 07' and really miss riding. I have the opportunity to trade a truck for a 1997 ZX-9R even.

She's like brand new, 7200miles, Yosh pipe, not a chip or scratch on her. The bike looks brand new and unmolested. I've always liked the stance of the 9R and would love to do the trade.

What if any draw backs are there to the 97'?
The bike would mostly be used for a commuter to work and back for now....I almost died on my Bird and had my life and my 2 kids lifes flash before my eyes...so I learned to slow down after being given a second chance. The commute is only 10miles each way.

Any advise or help you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the welcome!

It comes with a Yosh pipe....original pipe, 3 windscreens, the factory touch up paint pen...manuals..

Almost sounds to good to be true.

This may sound like a stupid question.

Do you guys like your 97's?
They must had did alot of changes in 98' according to what I've been reading.

So.....Whats the good?...Whats the bad on the bike?

KBB valves the bike at I think $4100....realistcally....Whats it worth? I'm trading my 95' Toyota 4runner with 87,000miles on it...even up for the bike.

Thanx agian
Tom

·
Registered
462 Posts
the only relative drawbacks when compared to the competition are it's weight really. the 97 9r had a little more girth than the same year 9rr's but nothing to cry about, especially if your only using it for street riding. sounds like a good deal and it's sitting right in your lap. what are you waiting for?

in 98 the bike lost a some weight in a lot of places but how long is it going to take you to find someone who has a 98+ 9r, and is willing to trade.

O wait, i'm an idiot... i thought you were trading your blackbird, not a 4runner. i'm not sure what those are worth but surely it's more than 4100? i'm not to sure what the value of such vehicles are but someone would pay more than 4.1k for it right? BTW, i WOULD NOT PAY 4100 for a 97 9r. a guy in my area is selling a mint, slighlty modded 01' 9r for 3k. paying so much for even a perfect 97 is ridiculous man.

in my opinion i think you should wait for a better deal to come up, but that's me, thinkin' with my head, and bikes (esp. sportsbikes) ARE NOT a logical decision, they're a passion, a choice made with your "heart". ya know? one part of me says (MY OPINION) sell your car for more than 4100, search craigslist/ebay/ect. for a better bike for less, then go crazy. another part of me says deals like that don't come along every day, and maybe you should take it. your decision really man. what are you feelin'? who are you? are you more of a "logic" guy (or girl) or a "passion" guy (or girl)? patience sucks. do you have it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my 96' She is big, heavy, and temperamental...but damn if she isnt fun to ride. I have 27000 on the clock of mine, and she is still strong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See the runners book is not what I have into it. So swapping it to me isn't that bad a deal. I have 4 4Runners now....3 95s' and 1 94....so missing one will clear up some space around here...plus it'll get me back on two wheels.

I've had the runner for sale and there just isn't a market for the trucks right now...its summer....they only get around 16mpg...once the snow hits everyone will want one. I have three of them for sale and the calls are for them are coming in less and less frequent.
So...Can I get $4100 for the Runner...not realistically...maybe $3500 if I sit on it...but I only have $2200 in the truck...so an even swap for the 9 isn't too far off....ya think?

I could probably sell the 9 easier now than I could the runner just because of the gas prices. Not that I'd want to...but it would always be an option...and thats an option and reason I have to tell the wife I want the 9r.

If the runner doesn't sell this week...then next weekend I'm getting the 9r.

Thanx guys!!

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot...

How is the 9r for vibes?

Thru the grips.....pegs??

Suspension?

Any positives or negatives you could ad.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
I love the 9's ..... I have well over 60,000 km on mine

·
Registered
50 Posts
After thinking about it-

-positives-

One of the most comfortable sport bikes ive ever ridden. I added a set of 5/8" bar risers and it flat out made the thing a sport tourer.

Power is hellish for its class. Back in the day the 9R just about beat everyone in a straight line.

Handling is good, a tad vague but decent none the less. The best thing you can do to cure this is go with a decent tire and stay away from the touring type compounds.

Brakes are awesome. The 97 has slightly bigger fronts than the 94-96. The 94-96 brakes were class leading for their time. Im guessing the 97's are even better.

Valve adjustments are super easy.

Decent trunk space (until you go with an undertail).

Vibes are not bad at all. Not even close to being as "buzzy" as my old CBRF3.

-negatives-

Um, there really arent any. The bike is a tad dated looking, but not so bad since it was fairly modern looking back in 97. Other than that, look out for the typical stuff you would normally look at when buying a used sport bike... like fork seals, does it track straight, etc. etc. etc. There is a good thread somewere on this forum that goes into detail. Other than that, its a typical Japanese sport bike- reliable, decent fuel mileage, hauls ass, handles good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts