Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Rebuilding a ZX6R and have contemplated getting a clean frame versus using the one I currently have. I'm trying to build the bike on a budget (budget meaning I don't want to invest more into this bike than I could sell it for - or just buy a new one). I have invested roughly $700.00 so far, and I am still in need of an engine and tires and some small parts. I am trying to figure out if it's worth parting everything out and making a few bucks off everything I have, or continue to build. In the end, if I save $500 to $1000 and know everything about the bike, then it is worth it to me to build it.

Anyway, I have this frame with clean title - not salvaged. I called up an aluminum welding shop (the guy has been welding for probably 60 years) and he quoted me at around $70 to put an aluminum plate over my damage. I know it would probably be better to speak with a Kawi engineer, but has anyone seen any frame repairs work out without the bike splitting in two? I'd much rather invest $70-$100 in this frame than purchase a clean one for $600-$700. There are no visible cracks whatsoever.

It is difficult to tell from the pictures, and they actually look worse than in person, but I'm curious what your opinions are. Some say they'd never touch a dented frame, and others argue that people use these types of frames on the track - I just need some help here.

This picture is with the right front fork turned all the way. I was trying to capture the size of the gap compared to the straight fork:

This picture shows the extent of the bend near the neck. The picture angle makes the indentation look worse, but think worst case scenario here. I planned to have a plate welded over this portion - I don't care about how it'd look - I want function:

What the damage looks like from the front:

Another angle looking straight down from the top of the frame:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I personally would not put a bike together with a frame like that. You might try to find a donor frame that is in better shape. You have to ask yourself.... is it worth my life saving a few bucks?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Yeah that frame is buckled and not worth using. I'd look into a different frame. Some frame shops might be able to straighten it but I would be weary of using it after that, even with extra supports.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts