Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Can i go for a zx6r or 10r as my first bike ?

6K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  185EZ 
#1 ·
Hello, Guys, I'm new to the forum so a few months ago I decided to purchase a bike for myself so my first options were zx10r because I really loved the bike and the electronics in it so I visited some forums and I read that some people are saying its a bad idea and some are saying you can but you have to respect the bike (Note: I have 6 hours of riding a 90 cc and hardly an hour or 2 for riding a 150cc bike ) so after reading the forums I thought of dropping 10r as my first bike and opt for zx6r so my question can I go for zx6r as my first bike I know the basics of riding and
I have a friend who has 2 hours of experience on 600 cc his brother bike and after that, he went for 1000cc as his first bike he states that it took him 1 month to adjust to his 10r but he said you have to concentrate and be gentle to the bike and please don't tell me to go for a smaller bike because I don't want to keep changing the bike I want to go for single and use till I move to Germany ! so what should I go for 10r and 6r I'm getting a 10r for cheap price with all the accessories and sc project exhaust on it no used 6r is available so I need to go for a new one which will cost me a little bit, not more!

#6 · (Edited)
It's not really a good idea for a first bike (especially if you haven't taken any motorcycle courses to learn what you don't know).

You will learn a lot more and a lot quicker starting on a smaller CC bike. Either way, take a course before you just go out and start riding (you need to learn things about riding that aren't intuitive, like countersteering).

#7 ·
It's not really a good idea for a first bike (especially if you haven't taken any motorcycle courses to learn what you don't know).

I know you don't want to hear it, but you will learn a lot more and a lot quicker starting on a smaller CC bike (250R, 300, 400, etc). You can pretty much sell a 250R for the same price you bought it for once you are ready to upgrade (they hold their value really well).

Either way, take a course before you just go out and start riding (you need to learn things about riding that aren't intuitive, like countersteering).

#10 ·
well, thanks for the advice! I will keep it in mind but we don't have a motorcycle course in our country so my friend would be teaching my stuff and coming to selling a smaller cc bike its way out of me getting the price I will mostly get half of the price of 250r or other bikes so it would be waste of money and my dad wouldn't not agree to the ideaof upgrading to smaller cc to bigger cc bike
but ya i will sure let you know my decision after the lockdown ends i have 3 months to decide till my university starts

#9 ·
My 10R was my first bike. I literally learned to ride on it. If I'd started on anything smaller I'd be dead. I wouldn't presume that would be true for everyone, or even most everyone. Maybe almost no one. We're all different, only you know you.

#12 ·
I understood ! it depends upon me at the end. I have ridden bikes and scooter so I'm not that new riding two-wheelers
I have a couple of riding experience on bike im good on scooters and stuff I know the basics. I agree everyone is different. so will think about it I have placed my down payment zx6r I still have time to upgrade to 10r .will update you guys on the decision

#13 ·
Like first motorcycle ever? You will be learning to use the clutch and shift on it? Certainly not the best bike for that. I bought an 05 ZX-6R as my first road bike, but I have been on two wheels my whole life before that. Dirtbikes mainly, but I have had mopeds, ridiculous mini bikes, and all sorts of stuff before I bought my ZX-6R. It's easy to ride initially, down low it's certainly very controllable, suspension is excellent and it handles like a dream. However if you don't control yourself its FAR too fast for a beginner, above 8k my bike is an animal. I am very careful on mine, regardless of how much experience I have on dirtbikes this bike is far beyond my skill level anywhere near it's limits and I am well aware of that riding it.

Lot's of people start on 600s and do fine. Lots of people also start on 600s and kill themselves or worse. Generally speaking in my opinion any 600cc sport bike is too much for a beginner rider, certainly one who has never ridden any other motorcycle before. If I cant convince you this is a bad idea then please for your own sake respect a bike that can do 160mph+, 0-60 in 3 seconds, and a 10 second quarter that's not something to take lightly. That's far faster than most high end cars, except you don't have a steel body surrounding you, air bags, and a seat belt.

#16 ·
Like first motorcycle ever? You will be learning to use the clutch and shift on it? Certainly not the best bike for that. I bought an 05 ZX-6R as my first road bike, but I have been on two wheels my whole life before that. Dirtbikes mainly, but I have had mopeds, ridiculous mini bikes, and all sorts of stuff before I bought my ZX-6R. It's easy to ride initially, down low it's certainly very controllable, suspension is excellent and it handles like a dream. However if you don't control yourself its FAR too fast for a beginner, above 8k my bike is an animal. I am very careful on mine, regardless of how much experience I have on dirtbikes this bike is far beyond my skill level anywhere near it's limits and I am well aware of that riding it.

Lot's of people start on 600s and do fine. Lots of people also start on 600s and kill themselves or worse. Generally speaking in my opinion any 600cc sport bike is too much for a beginner rider, certainly one who has never ridden any other motorcycle before. If I cant convince you this is a bad idea then please for your own sake respect a bike that can do 160mph+, 0-60 in 3 seconds, and a 10 second quarter that's not something to take lightly. That's far faster than most high end cars, except you don't have a steel body surrounding you, air bags, and a seat belt.
hey
i know how to use the clutch and shift on it as above i told you i know the basic of riding a bike well i have already placed the down payment on it so i don't have option to back out now and as for coming to the bike i will be using for going to university and daily commute purposes i will not be using it as race machine and drive around like maniac i will follow what you said i will surely respect the bike and will keep my adrenaline in control and thank you so much for your concern .

#15 ·
I just know that for me, I have no respect for 600's at all. I bought my wife an old ZX6, later upgraded her to a newer R6, and every time I rode either of them I did stupid things without even thinking about it. I was scared to death of my 10R, and rightly so: an unexpected sneeze could loop you head over teakettle. My wife's R6 was fast AF, and with a good rider could keep up with me on my 10R no problem; but compared to a literbike it didn't feel fast unless you were ringing the piss out of it and even then, it still just wasn't the same. I rode my 10R like it could turn on me any second. I rode her R6 like it was my bitch and I was invincible, and neither of those things were true. I finally solved the problem by trading it for a CBR1kRR, so I'd be somewhat responsible no matter which of our bikes I was using.

#17 ·
I just know that for me, I have no respect for 600's at all. I bought my wife an old ZX6, later upgraded her to a newer R6, and every time I rode either of them I did stupid things without even thinking about it. I was scared to death of my 10R, and rightly so: an unexpected sneeze could loop you head over teakettle. My wife's R6 was fast AF, and with a good rider could keep up with me on my 10R no problem; but compared to a literbike it didn't feel fast unless you were ringing the piss out of it and even then, it still just wasn't the same. I rode my 10R like it could turn on me any second. I rode her R6 like it was my bitch and I was invincible, and neither of those things were true. I finally solved the problem by trading it for a CBR1kRR, so I'd be somewhat responsible no matter which of our bikes I was using.
yep I get it everyone is different, you are telling from your point of view. coming to myself i m a very careful guy and I really know my limits. I can say that for sure that i will never disrespect the bike. but I will be surely careful of what I am riding whether its 1000cc or 250 cc I have never ever ridden my 90cc scooter to its max potential have kept under 50 every time I rode it

#21 ·
If it’s a 04/05 ZX10R, be careful.
Yeah, there's something special about these 1st gens. I paid cash for every bike I ever had, and only ever had liability insurance on them. I find it humorous that a few years ago when I bought Mrs. Bear the 2012 CBR1000RR, it's portion of the premium was higher than the 2005 ZX10R. A lot higher. Eventually it dropped down and was the same, and now it's lower. We are both insured for both bikes, no differentiation. No claims, no tickets, same riders, same policy, no changes except the bikes aging. Every bike I've put on that policy, the premium for it went down over time, but not my 10R. It was the first, it's been on there over a decade, and they still want the same money to insure it as they did the day I put it on...

#23 ·
If it’s a 04/05 ZX10R, be careful. That thing has some killer mid-range and is stupid light. No electronics. Swap gearing to -1/+1, proper tune, and a tank full of C9.

JBear said it best...a sneeze away from a dirt nap.

I love it.
[/QUOTE
Ohh okay luckily here we don't have older gen bikes people either scarp them or just stop using them if no one buys but im opting for either 2019 zx10r ,2015 zx10r and 2020 zx6r and have already paid the down payment on 6r till the lockdown ends i still have the time for it

#25 ·
I went for a zx6r as a first bike.. crashed it the second time I rode it. And I was barely doing 10 miles/h at the time..

Just a few broken fairing panels..but took a long time to get the bike back.

Rode a 200cc while I waited for my bike.. learned a lot more about riding on that than the scooter I had years ago.

Getting off a 200cc and onto zx6r made the ninja feel like is was extremely easy to ride..

#26 ·
Yeah right. I knew it. Why are you even asking this question. IMHO it's not a good idea. You'll learn a lot more riding a 250 near its limits than on a big bike nowhere near them. Obviously you've already made up your mind and even put a deposit down. It doesn't matter what anyone says

#28 ·
Don't even think about starting on a 1000cc. The ZX6R, on the other hand could make a nice first bike. Be gentle with the throttle and keep it at low RPMs. It all comes down to self control.
You can always go to a shop and restrict the power of the bike.
Just keep in mind that you have to be at least 20 years old to be able to drive it in Germany.

#29 ·
600 is a good first bike. That's what I got for a first. It was a 1995 zx6e. Then got a 2001 zx6e (still have) and now also own a 1996 zx1100. The bigger the bike I feel like I have less control over it. Heavier and taller. One might think I've never rode before watching me take turns on the 1100 vs the 600.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.