Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 zx6r it has a fuel leak, I can see where it is leaking from without taking the bike apart. It looks like part of the tank, it has a nipple for a hose but theres no hose on it I found that this hose is not connected to anything but im not sure if these to go together or if I have more than one hose disconnected can someone please help? heres a pic of the hose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heres another pic with it on the bike, i think its a fuel overflow but should fuel be coming out of the overflow hose?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why would it have a clamp on the bottom if it doesn't go anywhere? Was it always clamped down next to the water pump? Is that a filter or a check valve?
How much gas do you loose? Do you keep your tank full? Isn't there something that releases the tank pressure?

I'm no help. Sorry. I'm just inquisitive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey bud, I have a zx-11 with this hose as well. I'm pretty sure that they probably serve the same purpose. I can't tell where the other end hooks to at the point but it appears that it's around the gas tank area. The other end that's hanging has the oem "plug" in the hose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i found that the hose connects to the gas tank but what does it mean when fuel is dripping slowly into that hose?

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the ZX11 that hose comes out the bottom of the airbox. Not associated with the fuel tank at all. Its a drain line for any liquid in the airbox coming in via the ram air. I assume its the same on the 9?

·
Registered
14 Posts
On the ZX11 that hose comes out the bottom of the airbox. Not associated with the fuel tank at all. Its a drain line for any liquid in the airbox coming in via the ram air. I assume its the same on the 9?
Your both right and wrong. More times then not this hose is the oil trap coming from the air box. the end should be plugged, the catch reservoir works as a sight glass as well as the reservoir. pull plug and drain during oil and air filter changes.

On the other hand several models use the same reservoir on the fuel vapor/recovery line off the tank. This is usually used in place of California emissions as well as included in the Cali emissions system.

A few bikes have this tube on both lines. all applications vary by year and size as well as Cali models change everything.

In this bike it may be taking on fuel for a nmber of reasons, tank full of gas and riding agressive (wheelies) gas reaching the vapor tube in the top of the tank for some reason may be all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts