Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at the rotory style stabilizers (GPR, Pit Bull) but also saw the piston type (Ohlins, Toby) for my '06 ZX6r. Is one type better than the other? Not sure which way to go. Sorry...new guy here. :runaway

·
Registered
77 Posts
it depends on what you need one for. piston style gets firmer with speed (if you get a good one, like the hyperpro rsc), while rotary stays the same at all speeds. Stunters love rotary's, for many reasons, especially low speed stoppies. The hyperpro RSC seems to be the only active stabilizer on the market for the 636, and it has questionable build quality. I would go for the GPR. Great quality, can get great online price, and very adjustable for your needs. If my bike hadn't ben stolen/wrecked, I would have gotten a GPR for it, and I intend to pick one up for the 10 I'll get in the (hopefully) near future.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Having a hard time locating a GPR for my 07` zx6r, does anyone have a line on where i can locate one?

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go with scotts they are built better than GPR and have both high speed and low speed damping. The only drawback is you have to drill and tap two holes in the frame, which really wasnt difficult total install took me about 2hours and I took my time. You wont regret it, I havent.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The best dampener I've found has been using a hose. You could also dampen your steering by riding into a river/stream/other body of water but I don't recommend that.

If you meant a steering damper than I'd get a Ohlin, a buddy of mine has the GPR and he hates it. But take that for a grain of salt since it's second hand (3rd now?) information.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The best dampener I've found has been using a hose. You could also dampen your steering by riding into a river/stream/other body of water but I don't recommend that.

If you meant a steering damper than I'd get a Ohlin, a buddy of mine has the GPR and he hates it. But take that for a grain of salt since it's second hand (3rd now?) information.
Don't make fun of someone's ability to spell and then screw it up yourself.

I believe you meant Öhlins, not "Ohlin".

GPR is typically considered low-end, though they tend to cost very close to what Scotts dampers cost. Scotts and Öhlins are typically considered about the same, opinion based on whether one likes a linear or rotary damper. If you look at newer Scotts dampers you'll note they have the Öhlins logo stamped on them also.

Recently I've been looking at Matris dampers. They seem to be well known in Europe but not in the US. They are linear dampers with an external reservoir, the highest end one costing within about $20 of the Öhlins. They also have high- and low-speed settings like the Scotts. The only place I've found that distributes them in the US is "Department of Suspension".

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the input you guys, i`ve opted to go with the GPR,(black base W/anodized red dial, i just don`t like the idea of drilling & tapping my new baby. I`ll post my synopsis after i get it installed .xxx

·
Registered
234 Posts
:rolleyes
Actually dampener isn't a misspelling. It's the wrong word. I'm sure he knew I was also joking.
I'm sorry, I suppose I should have said word choice rather than spelling. My mistake. :rolleyes :nana

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm about to order a GPR. I checked the link posted above and only one color is offered but the GPR site shows a wide color selection. Anybody know where the colors are available for an 07?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had to order mine through my kawi dealer. I know you can get them direct from GPR, they are $475 + $15 S&H. Call and tell them what color combo you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
294 Posts
OH MY GOD DUDE! Just installed my GPR, this thing is incredible, i had no idea what stabilizers were all about until now! The absolute best thing i`ve done to my bike so far. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts