Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how disastrous my situation is here regarding the camshaft "caps" on my 97 ZX9R (the 5 "caps" that hold the camshafts down onto the cylinder head). My understanding is that all of these are manufactured as one piece with the cylinder head then the caps are "cut off". Rumor has it, you can't be swapping these without destroying the cylinder head.

The "cap" I'm specifically asking about is the one on the far right which is next to the cam chain). It is made different from the other 4. It seems that during a valve adjustment I ended up using that very "cap" from the wrong motor and ran the motor for about 1000 km max.

what should I do now? I don't see any damage at all. Should I swap back the original one or keep running with this one or is the cylinder head now toast!!???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Hammerhead. Just swap the right part back and have fun!
Nice!! Have not been back on the site for a little while but Thanks everyone. I had worried I killed this cylinder head. I'll swap the part out and go with it

Cheers and thanks for the replies HammerHead and KoflaOlivieri

·
6,945 Posts
The head and the caps are manufactured separately. A set of caps is bolted and torqued to the head. The assembly is then line bored.

Inspect the cap for any unusual wear. You will be able I see if there is an issue quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts