Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was doing a valve clearance job on my bike, when I was putting the cams back in I wasn't quite sure how to set the timing, as the manual does not explain very well. Firstly, there are 2 markings on each cam, an arrow and an EX/IN. Second, there are 2 dashes on the ignition timing plate, not sure which is 1&4 TDC.

I did it the best I could, and when spinning by hand I don't hear any interference between the valves and cylinders, but I do get a "popping" sound from the exhaust side (are the cams that aggressive? or am I doing something wrong). I'm gonna get a long stick or something and double check to make sure that 1&4 are indeed at TDC, and judging by the cam lobes, the arrow mark seems to be the timing mark, not the IN/EX.

Here's a pic of the exhaust sprocket:

Note that this was after I spun it a few times, the arrow was lined up with the casing on the other side when timed.

And just out of curiosity, how is spark controlled? Because the plate seems to be run 1:1 with the crank, but the spark in a cylinder will fire at every second TDC, how does the engine know when to fire which (1 or 4) spark plug?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cylinders 1 & 4 are TDC in unison, just one is on the compression stroke the other exhaust. There should only be a single mark on the plate attached to the crankshaft that needs to line up with the mark on the crankcase.

With the exhaust side of the timing chain pulled taut you want the two marks nearest the EX on the exhaust camshaft to be parallel the cylinder head. The intake side you refer to the mark nearest the IN and again arranged it parallel to the head. *Highly important you count the number of chain link pins to determine proper chain engagement between camshafts*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cylinders 1 & 4 are TDC in unison, just one is on the compression stroke the other exhaust. There should only be a single mark on the plate attached to the crankshaft that needs to line up with the mark on the crankcase.

With the exhaust side of the timing chain pulled taut you want the two marks nearest the EX on the exhaust camshaft to be parallel the cylinder head. The intake side you refer to the mark nearest the IN and again arranged it parallel to the head. *Highly important you count the number of chain link pins to determine proper chain engagement between camshafts*
What is the number of link pins between the sprockets? Also, do I use the EXH stamping or the arrow stamping? See picture above.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The service manual I have shows two separate marks parallel to each other. The picture you provided appears to differs from that so i can only speculate.

However the picture in my manual illustrates 30 link pins between the two engaged cam teeth. If i could clearly illustrate i would.

I suggest searching for another service manual online that my differ from the one you have.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
The service manual I have shows two separate marks parallel to each other. The picture you provided appears to differs from that so i can only speculate.

However the picture in my manual illustrates 30 link pins between the two engaged cam teeth. If i could clearly illustrate i would.

I suggest searching for another service manual online that my differ from the one you have.
Why don't post a photo of the picture in your service manual so the OP can see what you are talking about?

·
Registered
35 Posts
And potentially ruin your envy stalker relationship with me? See you in another thread, im sure your watching. Cant wait!

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
And potentially ruin your envy stalker relationship with me? See you in another thread, im sure your watching. Cant wait!
It's a game.
You don't know how to post photos , Do you? C'mon, admit it tanic. An experienced mechanic like you should never sink to the level of posting photos. Calling you out again. And yes, I am very very embarrassed.:rotflmao

Just wondering if you are running from an x-wife or maybe you are an accused felon on the run. this might explain why you wish to remain so secretive about your past and your present location. Have I touched a nerve yet tanic?

·
Registered
847 Posts
The arrow shown on the cam gear in your picture needs to be rotated 180 degrees so that the arrow aligns with the top of the engine case. The pic shows the exhaust cam.

The intake cam arrow should point to / align with the top of the engine case on the opposite side. So the IN arrow should be at 9 and the EX at 3, looking at it from the perspective of the picture. At the same time #1 piston should be at Top Dead Center. If it's not exact, you will have $$ problems. On my bike there are 32 chain pins between the IN arrow and the EX arrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The arrow shown on the cam gear in your picture needs to be rotated 180 degrees so that the arrow aligns with the top of the engine case. The pic shows the exhaust cam.

The intake cam arrow should point to / align with the top of the engine case on the opposite side. So the IN arrow should be at 9 and the EX at 3, looking at it from the perspective of the picture. At the same time #1 piston should be at Top Dead Center. If it's not exact, you will have $$ problems. On my bike there are 32 chain pins between the IN arrow and the EX arrow.
Ok that's how I aligned it, while the ignitor had its mark on the intersection of the crankcase, pointed toward the rear (as the manual states, thats 1&4 TDC). The intake didn't line up perfectly, was maybe 2-3mm high, but that might be because I couldn't put full tension on the chain with my bare hands.

Hope all goes well when I start up.:eek:hno

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
well someone installed adjustable cam sprockets in that bike. marks might be differant than stock sprockets. post a pic of the timing plate and both sprockets and im sure we can set you straight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well someone installed adjustable cam sprockets in that bike. marks might be differant than stock sprockets. post a pic of the timing plate and both sprockets and im sure we can set you straight.
Thanks for the offer, but the bike is back together, and that's too much work to go back for a double check. The timing plate was OEM, so it was set (as the manual stated) to 1&4 TDC. I then line up the ARROWS on the sprockets to the outside edge of the head. Looking at the cam lobes, it seemed to be right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts