Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a later model cam chain tensioner fit a 91-92 engine? I would like to buy an original part but Kawi discontinued the part for the 92. I have an APE of but for the life of me cant adjust it correctly!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What won't adjust correctly? If the manual adjuster can't take up the slack then the OEM unit Definately won't.

IMO the original tensioners have a weak spring which doesn't "ratchet" out against the guides that well. Making the 7 motors sound even more like a tractor than they should.

I'm still curious how the APE isn't working right...

Josh

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The APE tens. is not working for me cause I don't think I am adjusting it correctly. I thought it would be easier to just buy a new OEM tens. and be done with it. I ordered one but the parts guy called back and told me that the tens for the 92 are no longer available.
So if one from a 96 and up would work I would just order up one and be done.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Care to explain just what exactly isn't going right? All you do is bolt it in and then screw in the adjuster until you feel resistance. The only way to mess that up is to either not screw it In enough or to screw it in too much.

Too little and the chain will make a racket and too much and you'll get a whirring sound from the guides running too Much against the chain.

Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts