Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am looking at getting a 05 zx6r and need to buy an engine for it. I know the motor will have an ID number, but where can i find out if it is stolen or clean? I know places where i can search the vin number, but nothing for just motors.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you are buying a used engine from a third party.. chances to find out if its stolen is low.

There should be a VIN on the crankcase tho.. and you can check with DMV and other sites that you have to pay 25 dollars for.

but you would have to check in all 50 states :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Paying $25 to check each state is gonna cost a pretty penny. On the other hand if you ask the seller if the engine is stolen, (naturally he'll say no) and then get a legible bill of sale, you would have a credible defense to any criminal charge of possessing stolen property. You asked & you have a bill of sale stating who sold you the engine. The law would have someone else to pursue. You'd still lose the motor.

·
Registered
888 Posts
ask the seller where he got it from.

if he has the frame with the matching vin, then chances are its legit. then just theck the last state of the bike registration.

if the seller is willing to wait 30 days for full sale, then just file the abandoment papers for the engine and DMV cross check the vin and mail the original owner a letter.. if they dont respond.. its yours to keep legally.
unless the seller the title that matches the vin.. then go for it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts