Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got 2 bikes available to buy, 2002 zx9-r with 3,000 miles or 2005 zx636 with 14,000 miles. is it worth getting the zx9-r also due to $1500 less or is the 636 a bike worth the extra money and miles?

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I personally would go with the 636 because the 9 still has carbs right? I would only play with fuel injection bikes now. Just my opinion. But that is very low miles for a 9 so. . .hard decision. Post pics or links for both bikes. Also how much is each, you just said the 9 is 1500 less.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personally, I would go with the 6. Yeah, the 9 has less miles and is $1500 cheaper, but carbs are more maintenance--especially if they put ethanol in the gasoline up there. It has been my experience that ethonal seems to gum up carbs in relatively short periods of time. In addition, you might find yourself coughing up that extra $1500 in insurance premiums over time.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Well, I like the power of my 9. I like less shifting and the mid range power as you say good by. But I never road a 636. Carburetors do need more attention (as that's where I am at right now) but they run great in cool weather. Do you like the bigger size of the bike or smaller size? Have you ridden them yet? On the 9, that is a sweet deal. I paid $2900 for my 99 9 with 25k on it and they put new fork seals and oil in a tune up. I like working on my bike as I get to know it more and understand it. Big question is do you want to work on your bike around every two yes or so.

ZX9R next best thing to Sex.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Seems a little high for an older bike anyways. I paid 5500 for my 2007 zx6 but I am also in the states so that might be why. Just check around for prices, but the 6 will also be lighter too. I say it is up to you whether or not you wanna deal with the older bike or not.

I love the look of the 636 so again I would go with it.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 9 is gone and the 6 is sexy. Looks like its been taking care of too.
That price wouldn't be too far off in NH. And a geared 6 ain't slow.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I went from efi to carbs and effin love my carbs!...not for you if you dont plan on working on it yourself but its gone so :dunno

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
went with the zx9-r. time for the open roads and see how she rolls.
appreciate all the info thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Congratulations on your 9. Enjoy. She looks great.

ZX9R next best thing to Sex.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
went with the zx9-r. time for the open roads and see how she rolls.
appreciate all the info thanks guys
Congrats man. Have fun!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I heard Canadians pay a lot in insurance compared to America.
Yes...yes we do :angry We pay more for just about everything. Even when the dollar is higher we pay more...
just to give an idea, looked at a Mustang Boss 302 (just cuz it was cool, not that i could afford it) it was brandnew, brought up from the states. It still had the window sticker for $48000 MSRP American. The dealership wanted over $70000 :headscratch

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Personally, I would go with the 6. Yeah, the 9 has less miles and is $1500 cheaper, but carbs are more maintenance--especially if they put ethanol in the gasoline up there. It has been my experience that ethonal seems to gum up carbs in relatively short periods of time. In addition, you might find yourself coughing up that extra $1500 in insurance premiums over time.
Ethanol is in everything around here, and I have not had to clean crap out of carbs in as long as I have been riding.

The ethanol isn't the problem, its putting shit like stabil in there that messes things up. I put a bike away last year with full carbs and the fuel on.

Started first try in the spring.

Fill up your tank, drain your carbs, and fog the cylinders and you will never have an issue. Remove the battery in favor of a warm place if you store in an unheated area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts