Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am buying an 07 ZX14 tomorrow and want to hear stories/opinions. I am 28, I have owned/ridden Sportbikes since I was 20 and have ridden a ton of bikes including a new GSXR1000, an SV1000 and a few other misc bikes.

I am excited about the zx14, I am 6'6" and 260 pounds and am huge for the small bikes. I don't want to buy a cruiser, but I am at a point in my life where I want a bike that fits me better.

I am not necessarily buying the 14 because it makes ridiculous power, although I do drag race and am excited about the power, I am more excited because it seems like a bike that fits my needs. It's almost like a Sport Touring bike with more power and better looks.

It is a physically large sportbike. It seems like 2 up riding is possible on it even with a big guy like me driving (on my 600's i was 3/4 of the weight capacity lol). It is comfortable and I feel like I could ride it most of the day without getting sore, and I love the look of it.

The downside are the assumptions that go along with these bikes, like you have to ride one like a crazy person. If I rode my 600's the way "people" say they should be ridden, as in "I had my bike up to 158 and used to ride 500 foot wheelies" or whatever, I would probably be dead given that I have been riding for almost a decade and mistakes happen

I guess I have fun, but I am also safe on the street, and wanted to hear from other ZX14 owners who are the same way. Or does everyone just buy the ZX14 so they can do wheelies on the freeway lol, because when I go look at the bikes, those are the kind of stories I hear!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Sweet, I'll trade you two ZX7s for it, totally a good deal. You will get almost 1500CCs of motor and over 230 HP!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
The only downside I can see to a 14 is that the parts aren't exactly cheap... but if you can afford the cow, you can afford the bell amirite?

And people think those crazy stories are the only way to have a metaphorical big dick. I say buy it for what you intend to use it for, a big, comfy bike that fits a bigger dude like yourself.

I personally love the big bikes. I love that my 7 makes a new 6/10 look like a toy - even if it isnt as fast as either one.

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts
Hey guys,

I am buying an 07 ZX14 tomorrow and want to hear stories/opinions. I am 28, I have owned/ridden Sportbikes since I was 20 and have ridden a ton of bikes including a new GSXR1000, an SV1000 and a few other misc bikes.

I am excited about the zx14, I am 6'6" and 260 pounds and am huge for the small bikes. I don't want to buy a cruiser, but I am at a point in my life where I want a bike that fits me better.

I am not necessarily buying the 14 because it makes ridiculous power, although I do drag race and am excited about the power, I am more excited because it seems like a bike that fits my needs. It's almost like a Sport Touring bike with more power and better looks.

It is a physically large sportbike. It seems like 2 up riding is possible on it even with a big guy like me driving (on my 600's i was 3/4 of the weight capacity lol). It is comfortable and I feel like I could ride it most of the day without getting sore, and I love the look of it.

The downside are the assumptions that go along with these bikes, like you have to ride one like a crazy person. If I rode my 600's the way "people" say they should be ridden, as in "I had my bike up to 158 and used to ride 500 foot wheelies" or whatever, I would probably be dead given that I have been riding for almost a decade and mistakes happen

I guess I have fun, but I am also safe on the street, and wanted to hear from other ZX14 owners who are the same way. Or does everyone just buy the ZX14 so they can do wheelies on the freeway lol, because when I go look at the bikes, those are the kind of stories I hear!
At your "point" in your life? 28? :lol I have a few more points on you.
Good choice in bikes. You'll love the 14.
And thank you for not calling it a sport touring bike. Almost? yes. it's still a super sport for the rest of you mooyuks.:thefinger

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At your "point" in your life? 28? :lol I have a few more points on you.
Good choice in bikes. You'll love the 14.
And thank you for not calling it a sport touring bike. Almost? yes. it's still a super sport for the rest of you mooyuks.:thefinger
By "point" I am referring to a decade of riding 600cc Sportbikes and looking like a gorilla humping a football ;).

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
I am 6'3" and 215 and I don't fit on 600s, 750s or even the modern 1000cc sportbikes. I had my ZZR 1200 set up to fit me and am in the process of doing the same to the 14. By tomorrow, I should have the 3-bag GIVI setup all done and I've already put on the tallest screen and a bar kit.

Don't let anyone else's expectations tell you how or what to ride. Any motorcycle is like a pistol; if you point it at your head and pull the trigger, it'll blow your brains out. But suicide isn't the point of either a pistol or a bike. It's to serve it's owner's purpose, not to please idiots.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Dude.. I just got my 07' ZX-14 at the end of January.. Black on Black Baby! Just took the flies out and installed the Commander III USB.. Running Yoshi's 4 into 2's with baffles out O.M.G.! as the young people say! The difference in Low End Power is absolutely staggering ! 6th gear roll-ons from 65 on up are now instantainious.. No more need to downshift for power.. I am 5' 10" 250 and the bike fits me fine.. Coming from a 1994 Zx-7 this fuel injected beast is amazing.. I have not gone past 7500 rpm's on my shifts never seen a need to.. Buy The Bike and do the Flies with a Power Commander.. You will be grinning from Ear to Ear :runaway

·
Registered
116 Posts
They are great bikes! The ONLY way that I'd give mine up would be for a 2012 14R, and I probably wouldn't get rid of my 06 at that. Mine is getting put into more of a touring/commuting position as I have a twisty/track bike now. Oh yeah....PULL the flies and put on a pc3/5 and have a blast! They make soo much torque down low that in normal commuting and running around that you have no need to spin it up. But, once you spin it up in the 8-9-10K range you'll be amazed even after years of riding it how quick they are!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's funny about this bike.I had it for over 2 years and never redlined it in all the gears.I hit it in first a few times but the front wheel would jump fast at 7 grand.I was riding it last week in second and cranked it up and it jumped off the ground at 7 grand.Really took me by surprise.Point is I don't have to ride it like that.I like running it in third about 110.I love this bike and might get the new one but I haven't explored the entire power of this one.I'm 56 years old and 6 foot 2 and 250.Did I add I'm a little crazy?I rode nothing but big bikes for 30 years,first one at 19.
Craig

·
Registered
85 Posts
Audioboyz I could not have said it better... There simply is no need to twist it much past 7000 rpm.. in normal traffic conditions that is more than enough to impress yourself and any young cuties staring at you out of their cars.. Quick Controlled Burst to like you said about 7000 rpm.. I am 55 myself.. and that's how we got here.. Riding smart for the last 40 years.... Enjoy Your Beast !:scared

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts
I agree. i've never redlined my bike either. Pretty close when running a ZO6 but it was more a seat of the pants shift than watching the tach. I was just out the other day and 1st gear can be a bit wild so I shift into 2nd early and it still sets you back in the seat and you need to hold on tight.
Feeeels good.:smile

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey guys,

They are incredibly fast, crisp handling and very comfortable long distance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
awesome!!

your going to love it! I have an 07' 14, and I'm 6'3". I have to stretch about every 45 min. on rides but all good. BEST bike I've ever owned. Where are you buying the bike from? I buy/sell bikes as a hobby and would be happy to give you some tips of negotiating for the best price in this soft market. If interested, email me at: [email protected]......

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a 1k bike and it was OK but always felt small. On the ZX14, I feel the bike is the right size and I'm very comfortable on it. Mine spends time on the street and the track. Mostly on the track. It sits low and I have to watch where I ride as it could bottom out. You'll love the ZX14. Once you get used to the way it delivers its power, the only problem you'll have is the smile on your face won't go away....LOL!!

Let's see a pic of it when you get a chance. Here's a shot of mine at the track.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
congrats on the purchase and good luck also. i have ran mine for a few years now and she is a beast. i have redlined mine but only threw a couple of gears on the street and she does pull hard and will continue pulling as long as you hold her. You can normally only get a couple of gears tho, before she is ready to take ya to the moon. i am 6'2 270 and i have had her when i was as light as 225 she pulls either way like a beast i am sure you will love her. i don't recommend willies and riding crazy doing stunts but to each as own, you have been riding long enough to know/have seen the other side of the stunts so do you. congrats again. please take time to get to know her before you pull your flies and push her to her limits.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
by the way brucer nice pic. one day i will be abe to make her leave outta the hole like that.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Thx. It does leave the line hard. 'Course...the 50 shot of nitrous helps alot...LOL! Has 245 HP on the bottle. Motor lower end is stock. Competition CNC S&S head & 47mm throttle bodies.
245 dizammmm thats a nice number there buddy! how fast is she in the qtr?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I had a 1k bike and it was OK but always felt small. On the ZX14, I feel the bike is the right size and I'm very comfortable on it. Mine spends time on the street and the track. Mostly on the track. It sits low and I have to watch where I ride as it could bottom out. You'll love the ZX14. Once you get used to the way it delivers its power, the only problem you'll have is the smile on your face won't go away....LOL!!

Let's see a pic of it when you get a chance. Here's a shot of mine at the track.

Great Color!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts