Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, new member here. I’m going to look at a 1990 ZX 1100 this Thursday with 3300 miles on the clock. Quick question about handling on these bikes, considering I have never rode one. How do they handle on twisties and back roads etc. are they really only good in a straight line? Currently I’m riding a 1983 CB1100 F. Which is actually 30 pounds heavier then ZX 11, so I’m no stranger to an over weight bike. I upgraded the suspension and it handles great. I don’t need to go furiously fast on the back roads, just safely. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Since Ive owned both Bikes, the ZX-11 is light years away from the venerable CB1100F. Yes, you can throw $$$ at the CB1100F and it will get close to what the ZX-11 can do, but they are 10 years removed from each other by Technology. The ZX-11 isnt called the Gentlemans Express for nothing. You can pack on serious miles @ high speed, pull off onto a side road and blast away for another 2 hours w/o feeling drained. It not a light bike, but that makes her stable i high speed sweepers & with some muscle she can handle the Twisties just fine. Sure she may not beat a 600 thru the tight stuff, but thats not what she was designed for.

Course, years ago, I bought some mags for my ZX-11 so nowadays I give the 600s a serious run for their money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had an '88 ZX10 for 10 years. Drove it all over the U.S. and Canada, about 50k miles. Only upgrade was a Corbin seat.

All day comfortable. Wouldn't be competitive with my '12 Daytona in anything but a straight line, but more than good enough for riders like me who have never seen redline on a bike over 750cc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since Ive owned both Bikes, the ZX-11 is light years away from the venerable CB1100F. Yes, you can throw $$$ at the CB1100F and it will get close to what the ZX-11 can do, but they are 10 years removed from each other by Technology. The ZX-11 isnt called the Gentlemans Express for nothing. You can pack on serious miles @ high speed, pull off onto a side road and blast away for another 2 hours w/o feeling drained. It not a light bike, but that makes her stable i high speed sweepers & with some muscle she can handle the Twisties just fine. Sure she may not beat a 600 thru the tight stuff, but thats not what she was designed for.

Course, years ago, I bought some mags for my ZX-11 so nowadays I give the 600s a serious run for their money.
Thanks for reply! Hopefully, I will come home with an almost new zx11 Thursday. My CB is pretty heavily moded , hope to do the same for the Z. What are the standard modifications that should be done to her?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had an '88 ZX10 for 10 years. Drove it all over the U.S. and Canada, about 50k miles. Only upgrade was a Corbin seat.

All day comfortable. Wouldn't be competitive with my '12 Daytona in anything but a straight line, but more than good enough for riders like me who have never seen redline on a bike over 750cc.
I plan on riding down to the Corbin factory and getting a new saddle as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
What are the standard modifications that should be done to her?
All of them, or as many as you can afford..... course Mag rims are very expensive, so they are optional & impossible to find after 30 years :)

Other then modifying the internals of the engines,. Ive done a shitload of Mods...course some for the 93+ years wont quite work on the earlier ZX-11s, but many will. 1st one I would do is a Factory Pro Jet kit. You will need to determine if new bike is a 1990 to 1990.5 year or a 1990.5 to 1992 year for correct kit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
3300 miles?? Sounds like it sat alot. Rubber parts need to be checked. You need to worry about routine maintenance before modifications. Whatever you do just buy it!! Then get a cheap plastic chair and a cooler of beer and ice. Sit there and look at it. Great way to spend an evening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of them, or as many as you can afford..... course Mag rims are very expensive, so they are optional & impossible to find after 30 years :)

Other then modifying the internals of the engines,. Ive done a shitload of Mods...course some for the 93+ years wont quite work on the earlier ZX-11s, but many will. 1st one I would do is a Factory Pro Jet kit. You will need to determine if new bike is a 1990 to 1990.5 year or a 1990.5 to 1992 year for correct kit.
When I get the bike home ill determine what the exact year is and report back. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3300 miles?? Sounds like it sat alot. Rubber parts need to be checked. You need to worry about routine maintenance before modifications. Whatever you do just buy it!! Then get a cheap plastic chair and a cooler of beer and ice. Sit there and look at it. Great way to spend an evening.
Yes sir you are correct. Supposedly the guy who owns it just got the carbs rebuilt, all fluids flushed and refilled, and put new tires on it. fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Yeah, isnt it funny how ZX-11s make a person want to do that? Just sit there and admire it. Its FAST just sitting there on its center stand lol

QUOTE: "My GF told me my ZX-11 was just a dick thing. I corrected her and told her. No Honey, its a BIG, BLACK, FAST Dick thing!" UNQUOTE

Reactions: Zwicker

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Yes sir you are correct. Supposedly the guy who owns it just got the carbs rebuilt, all fluids flushed and refilled, and put new tires on it. fingers crossed!
Check the chain as well.....

#1 Rule about ZX-11s. They like Chains, Tires and Sprockets. They eat them for lunch.... so DO NOT scrimp on those three. Give the Bitch what she wants and deserves. THE BEST even if you cant afford it @ the time. Take out a loan. They are like inkjet printers. its not about the cost of the printer, its about what it costs in consumables on a regular basis.

and Oh Yeah, ZX-11s are NOT about MPG, they are about MPH, MILES PER HOUR. 🤣

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the chain as well.....

#1 Rule about ZX-11s. They like Chains, Tires and Sprockets. They eat them for lunch.... so DO NOT scrimp on those three. Give the Bitch what she wants and deserves. THE BEST even if you cant afford it @ the time. Take out a loan. They are like inkjet printers. its not about the cost of the printer, its about what it costs in consumables on a regular basis.

and Oh Yeah, ZX-11s are NOT about MPG, they are about MPH, MILES PER HOUR. 🤣
Noted, I usually use DID chain and steel supersprockets of JT. Any recommendations are welcome!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Im an EK chain Man myself, (nobody has beaten 11,200 in tensile strength yet in a 530 bundle that I know of), but DID will do. I tried aluminum sprockets but I burned thru them every summer, so I went back to steel.

Also. Went thru a back tire every summer, front tire every other summer. I run Bridgestone HyperSports S22

·
Registered
4 Posts
To jump in on the ZX11 discussion. Back in the 90's decided to look into the sport bikes that were out there as I didn't have any at the time and they looked interesting as compared to what I was riding and collecting. Even us old guys like stuff that goes fast.... The look of that bike got me hooked, plus the sound of ram air is like no other in my humble opinion. Even my ZX14 doesn't sound like the 11. So enjoy it. I kept mine stock, cause it run so sweet, didn't see the need to mod it up. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sits down , tips a cold one, and just admires the lines of that bike, and is still the one in my collection that gets a lot of comments from visitors. As far as the 1100F, I agree, in its time it was smooth and powerful, but two different bikes. Now if I could get a CBX, maybe would think differently.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Hay, you DO KNOW, that the Red CB1100Fs were faster then the Blue ones, right?
🤣

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sits down , tips a cold one, and just admires the lines of that bike, and is still the one in my collection that gets a lot of comments from visitors.
Yeah, Ive even had lil old ladies come up to me, and comment how pretty it is, one even saying she wished she was 20 years younger so I could take her for a ride....lol!!!

Kawy knocked this one out of the Ballpark as far as Im concerned.

Reactions: moko

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hay, you DO KNOW, that the Red CB1100Fs were faster then the Blue ones, right?
🤣

Yeah, Ive even had lil old ladies come up to me, and comment how pretty it is, one even saying she wished she was 20 years younger so I could take her for a ride....lol!!!

Kawy knocked this one out of the Ballpark as far as Im concerned.
The red ones are pretty sweet, but I ended up with the blue. Beggars cant be choosers when you find one of these. But it match's up with the '79 750F I restored a couple of years ago. Big and little brother.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The red ones are pretty sweet, but I ended up with the blue. Beggars cant be choosers when you find one of these. But it match's up with the '79 750F I restored a couple of years ago. Big and little brother.
here is a recent picture of my CB. It’s definitely faster than any red one!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts