Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Point Scoring Weekend for Hawk Kawasaki

British Superbikes - Silverstone - Round 12

The three Hawk Kawasaki riders had a positive weekend at Silverstone Circuit this weekend, 15th - 17th September. Dean Thomas, Craig Coxhell and Peter Hickman all gave a strong performance at the 2.2-mile Northamptonshire track. The Penultimate round of the Bennetts British Superbike series once again proved eventful.

Dean Thomas struggled during qualifying to find a good set up on the Kawasaki ZX10-R that suited the fast circuit. Ending the 50-minute qualifying session in a low 15th place the 33-year-old Australian was left with a lot of work to do. Two strong starts in both races saw him gain two fantastic eighth place finishes in the two 20-lap races.

Commenting Thomas said "It's been a tough couple of months for me but this weekend I felt a lot fitter in myself and my results go to prove that. I am now finishing in the positions I was finishing before I had the accident in July. It's been a long slow process to get back to this level and this is the first weekend that I've not felt completely shattered during the races. I am pleased with what I've achieved, as it's been a testing few months. I would like to thank all the people who wished me well with my recovery, it meant a lot."

The youngest British Superbike rider on the field, Peter Hickman, once again proved that he is learning and improving on every outing on the Hawk Kawasaki. After out qualifying his team-mates, Thomas and Coxhell, in 11th, he was confident as he entered into the races. A poor start in the first race saw the youngster slip down the pack but he soon got his head down and gained 10th place. The second race proved eventful for him as an electrical problem on the sighting lap saw him pull into the pits and have to swap onto his spare machine. Unable to take his position on the grid he had to start from the back and still earned a creditable 15th place overall in race two.

Speaking with him "I'm really disappointed with what happened today, I had a great qualifying session and I was feeling really comfortable heading into the races but I just seemed to have no luck. I got a poor start in race one but had a disaster in race two and had to start from the back. It's just one of those things, I'm very happy with a top ten finish in race one and hopefully I will be able to get some strong results at the final rounds at Brands. If I piece everything together at Brands, qualifying, the start and race it should be a good one for me."

23-year-old Craig Coxhell struggled to find his form this weekend, after qualifying in 14th place on the grid, it was going to prove a difficult race. A good start saw him moving through the field and was in a good point scoring position when he clipped the curve at Maggots corner and crashed out of race one. The crash caused damage to his bike and the young Aussie had to ride his spare bike in race two, not having had much time on this bike through the weekend it was not set-up how he would have liked. Different suspension and fork settings proved difficult and he could only salvage 14th place in race 2.

A disappointed Coxhell said "I'm just gutted, I really wanted to get a good result this weekend for myself and also the team. I found it difficult to get a good set up on the bike and therefore I didn't qualify very well. I wasn't hurt in the crash but the bike had a bit of damage, which meant I had to use my spare bike which I'd hardly touched all weekend. I'm just hoping Brands will be a better one for me."

The Final Round of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship will be at Brands Hatch on the 29th, 30th September and 1st October, the two Superbike races will be worth double points after the cancellation of the Mondello Park round.

Superbike Result Race 1

R Kiyonari Honda
G Lavilla Ducati
K Harris Honda
J Rea Honda
M Rutter Honda
T Hill Yamaha
B Wilson Suzuki
Dean Thomas Hawk Kawasaki
Glen Richards Honda
Peter Hickman Hawk Kawasaki

Superbike Result Race 2