Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solid Performance for Hawk Kawasaki

Mallory Park - Round 6 - Bennetts British Superbike

The three Hawk Kawasaki riders rode strong races this weekend at Mallory Park (2nd - 4th June), with all three riders Dean Thomas (33), Craig Coxhell (23) and Peter Hickman (19) scoring British Championship points in race one. Thomas gained an eighth and ninth, Coxhell ninth and 14th and Hickman a fantastic 14th and 19th positions in the two Superbike races.

After the cancellation of Mondello Park the Hawk riders were eager to get back on track. For the first time this season, the Bennetts British Superbike round was blessed with glorious sunshine throughout the weekend with temperatures over 25oC, a contrast to the weather at Mondello a few weeks previously.

Thomas was once again the strongest qualifier putting his Dunlop-shop Kawasaki ZX10-R in ninth position in the grid with Coxhell 16th and Hickman 22nd. Fortunately the three riders gained a great start in race one, avoiding the crash on the start line involving Glen Richards and also the incident at the new Chicane which saw Tommy Hill and Steve Plater crash out. The safety car was despatched onto the circuit whilst the scattered debris was cleared.

Once the car pulled in Thomas was sitting in ninth with Coxhell in 12th and Hickman in 17th position. Coxhell was making his way through the field passing Scott Smart and Billy McConnell and moving his way to tenth position. A number of incidents saw Jonathan Rea, Scott Smart and Billy McConnell crash out of race one which saw all three Hawk Kawasaki riders in the Championship points for the first time this season.

The second race saw the Hawk riders struggle with their starts and having to fight their way back through the field for the 28-lap race. Thomas was locked in a close knit battle with factory Honda rider Jonathan Rea and Honda rider Glen Richards, Thomas fended off the eager Richards to take ninth position. Coxhell struggled in the second race for rear grip and managed to bring the bike home in 14th place whilst Hickman was locked in an eight wheeler battle and got the better of the hounding pack for 19th position.

Thomas was content with the results commenting "It's been a tough weekend and we've had to make a few changes with the bikes round here. It's seems to be getting more difficult against the factory teams as they seem to be getting faster and faster at each round. I was suffering a little with arm pump in the first and second race but I needed to get some good results to help me in the Championship standings."

Coxhell was a little disappointed with his second race result saying "I really wanted to push harder in the second race but I was really struggling for rear grip with the bike. I didn't want to push to hard and crash instead I wanted to make sure I brought it home and get two lots of points. I need to start getting more consistent as I've had a couple of set backs this season and want to get some confidence back and get back on track again, as I started the year well."

Hickman was very happy with his results saying "Getting Championship points seems to have been a long time coming and now I've finally managed to break the barrier. I enjoyed the weekend and got two finishes which is the main thing. No matter what I did or changed this weekend though I still struggled to go any faster, I was certainly consistent but my aim is to be in the points every weekend and that is all part of the learning process."

Superbike Race One Result

1, Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda), 2, Leon Haslam (Ducati), 3, Gregorio Lavilla (Ducati), 4, Shane Byrne (Suzuki), 5, Michael Laverty (Honda), 6, Michael Rutter (Honda), 7, Karl Harris (Honda), 8, Dean Thomas (Hawk Kawasaki), 9, Craig Coxhell (Hawk Kawasaki), 10, Ben Wilson (Suzuki), 14th Peter Hickman (Hawk Kawasaki).

Superbike Race Two Result

1, Gregorio Lavilla (Ducati), 2, Leon Haslam (Ducati), 3, Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda), 4, Karl Harris (Honda), 5, Shane Byrne (Suzuki), 6, Michael Rutter (Honda), 7, Michael Laverty (Honda), 8, Jonathan Rea (Honda) +21.657s, 9, Dean Thomas (Hawk Kawasaki), 10, Glen Richards (Honda), 14th Craig Coxhell (Hawk Kawasaki), 19th Peter Hickman (Hawk Kawasaki).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts