Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hawk Kawasaki Heading Overseas

Mondello Park Round 5 - 21st May 2006

Hawk Kawasaki riders Dean Thomas (33), Craig Coxhell (23) and Peter Hickman (19) are travelling the Irish Sea to get to the next venue of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship. Round five of the series is staged at the Southern Ireland based circuit of Mondello Park on the 21st May.

The Team are feeling confident as they head to the 2.2-mile circuit. A successful test at Mallory Park a couple of weeks ago, saw them make some alterations to the ZX-10R in a hope to improve on their results from previous rounds in the Championship. Australian Thomas sustained injuries after a collision with Suzuki rider James Haydon at Oulton Park and is hoping to be fully fit for the Irish Round.

Commenting Thomas said "My ribs are still giving me a bit of grief, I'm hoping the adrenaline will numb the pain during the weekend. I had a terrible weekend at Mondello last year and I'm looking at not repeating that this weekend. I like the circuit and not sure why I struggled so much there last season but fingers crossed I will gain two good results this year."

Coalville based rider Craig Coxhell has now fully recovered from his broken collarbone and damaged shoulder and is eager for some positive results. "It knocked my confidence a bit after crashing at Donington and I've been trying to ensure that I've not tipped off in the previous two rounds and cause further injury. I am feeling much better in myself for this weekend, I have been training hard in the gym to get back to full fitness again. We have done some testing on the bike since Oulton, and have made some slight adjustments which should help me this weekend in Ireland."

Rookie rider Peter Hickman is also looking forward to the weekend in Ireland saying "I've only ridden the circuit once before but keen to ride it on a Superbike. It's extremely bumpy so I will be using the practice sessions to learn the circuit and how the Superbike handles on it. The team have been working hard to get my bikes sorted for this weekend and maybe I will be blessed with the luck of the Irish and gain my first Championship points."

Mondello Park will be shown on ITV1 on Sunday 21st May from 15:00 - 16:30 and on Sky Sports 20:30 - 00:00

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Race Day a Total Washout

Hawk Kawasaki Press Release

Mondello Park Cancelled

Round 5 Bennetts British Superbike Championship

The Hawk Kawasaki Team were disappointed this weekend (19th - 21st May) after round five of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship at Mondello Park, had to be cancelled due to dreadful weather conditions.

Despite good qualifying positions from Craig Coxhell in 11th position on the grid and Dean Thomas in 12th. The correct decision was made by the Race Director, Stuart Higgs and his staff at MCRCB to cancel the meeting as it would have been unsafe for the riders to have ridden in such atrocious conditions.

With strong winds all weekend the weather stayed reasonably dry during the practice and qualifying sessions. Coxhell, Thomas and Hickman continuously improved throughout the weekend and they began to find a good race set up for the Kawasaki ZX10. Hickman was unlucky to have missed out on a higher qualifying position after the session was red flagged, whilst the young 19-year-old was on his last qualifying tyre.

The heavens opened from early morning on Sunday, and it proceeding to rain all day. Despite the valiant efforts of the organisers to continue to run with the event, large amounts of standing water around the 2.2-mile Irish Circuit proved hazardous for the competitors.

BSB Race Director, Stuart Higgs made the following statement: "Due to the constant heavy rain we have been unable to prepare the circuit in a manner suitable for competition. We had warm up sessions for the Superbike, Supersport and Superstock classes and further reviewed the circuit for racing. At 2.00pm in consultation with the Mondello Park circuit and Dorna, a joint decision was made to cancel the event. The Superbike races will not be rescheduled. The 125cc race will be run at a double header at Mallory Park and a decision will be made in the next two to three days regarding the Superstock and Supersport races."

The three Hawk Kawasaki riders of Coxhell, Thomas and Hickman will now prepare for their local round at Mallory Park in a few weeks time, 2nd - 4th June.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts