Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Point Scoring Weekend for Hawk

British Superbikes - Croft - Round 10

Hawk Kawasaki had an extremely positive weekend at round ten of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship at Croft Circuit, North Yorkshire this weekend, 11th - 13th August. The three riders Dean Thomas, Craig Coxhell and Peter Hickman all gained points in both of the Superbike races on board the Dunlop-shod Kawasaki ZX10-R's.

Thomas, who is recovering from serious injuries he sustained at Snetterton Circuit, battled through the pain barrier and gained two very creditable results with two twelfth places. After qualifying in 14th position Thomas fought hard all weekend to ensure that he gained some strong Championship points after missing the last two rounds.

Thomas was content with the results commenting "I've not been out on a bike for three days on the trot since I crashed at Snetterton. It was certainly difficult and was very uncomfortable during both of the races but I wanted to get back out there. I knew it would be hard work and perhaps the weather conditions played in my favour and slowed the pace down a little. Hopefully I will be a lot stronger for Cadwell in a few weeks time."

Craig Coxhell struggled during qualifying and could only manage 17th place on the grid but from that the young Australian gained some very strong results with a eighth in race one and 10th in race two. Coxhell who favours the wet weather conditions put in some astounding lap times and was lapping as one of the fastest riders on the circuit. Coxhell was dicing in a freight train of riders in race one for seventh place with Tommy Hill, Steve Plater, Karl Harris, Simon Andrews and fellow team-mate Thomas.

Coxhell said "I'm just gutted to not have qualified better as I know I could have been running further up the field if I had qualified in a stronger position. I have struggled all year to get my bike to work on qualifying tyres and therefore I have been struggling to put in a quick time. I am very happy to have gained two top ten positions as it has given me some good points in the Championship. Things are still all fairly close in the overall series and we also have double points at Brands Hatch to play for."

Youngster Peter 'Hicky' Hickman had an astounding ride at Croft and from qualifying 15th on the grid he gained 14th in race one and a fantastic eighth place in the second race. Hicky achieved his strongest race result to date in only his first year in the Superbike series, a credit to the 19-year-old.

A elated Hicky said "The second race result was a great feeling. I got one of the best starts that I have ever had and right from the start I just felt confident and content. I was locked in a tight scrap with ex BSB Champ Shakey Byrne which was interesting, he was definitely on a mission but it was good to have a dice with him for a few laps. I'd like to thank everyone in the team for working so hard and glad I managed to get the result I did in race two as a thank you to them."

The Bennetts British Superbike series will next be at Cadwell Park, Lincolnshire on August Bank Holiday Weekend, 26th- 28th August.

RACE ONE RESULT

R KIYONARI HONDA
J REA HONDA
G LAVILLA DUCATI
L HASLAM DUCATI
S BYRNE SUZUKI
M RUTTER HONDA
T HILL YAMAHA
C COXHELL HAWK KAWASAKI
S PLATER SUZUKI
K HARRIS HONDA
12TH D THOMAS HAWK KAWASAKI