Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you did not follow the Manufacturers sugested break in on your 12? I have heard different methods, but it seems to me that the manufacturer would know best. Thoughts?

·
Registered
123 Posts
i've never had a 12, but i've owned a 6rr, and two 636s. i never followed the break-in instructions, although i never followed the dealers instructions either.

·
Registered
604 Posts
When i bought my 05' ZX-6R i was afraid to take her over 5K RPM, hehe!!! I thought that the dealer know's best and i should listen.....well a little over 600 mile's and i got used to taking her up to 7K......i didn't mind, so at about 775 miles' i did my first top speed run where i red-lined all of the gear's and took her up to 150MPH!!!

I think the reason the dealership's tell you to not go over 5K form 0-500mi. and not over 7K 500-1000, is because they don't want to to kill yourself think that it's your first bike you've owned!!! Technicly they are suppose to dyno the bike before they put them on the floor or sell them.....which you know what that mean's, yep, redline the thing in 2nd or 3rd gear!!! So i would take it's easy the first 400-500 mile's and then Ride her like you DONT OWN her!!! IMHO!!!!!

Also would like to add that i did an oil change every 200 mile's on her until 1000 mile's!!! Keep that oil nice and clean and she make you proud!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I broke mine in per reccomendations for the most part, it's kinda hard to though when you have a machine that is made to scream!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its very hard. I hit it yesterday for a second and holy cow! Its a lot different than a 600! Also noticed the front fork seal is leaking a little. I hope it can hold out until 600miles or so.

Another question. Is it normal for the shifting to sound clunky? I was ridding yesterday and shifting up and it missed a gear and went to neutral. I just hope it is because of the newness and not a problem. I guess its under warranty anyway.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Damit said:
Its very hard. I hit it yesterday for a second and holy cow! Its a lot different than a 600! Also noticed the front fork seal is leaking a little. I hope it can hold out until 600miles or so.

Another question. Is it normal for the shifting to sound clunky? I was ridding yesterday and shifting up and it missed a gear and went to neutral. I just hope it is because of the newness and not a problem. I guess its under warranty anyway.
No its not normal. Lot of 12R's need the shift linkage adjusted a bit. Seems like the shift lever is a bit high. Try adjusting the linkage so that the shifter sets a bit lower, worked for me on my 12R.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rode mine like I stole it right out of the stealership parking lot!

Factory recommended break-in proceedures are BS, MHO.

You should change your oil in the first 50 - 100 miles though to get some of the crap out of the engine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Pisser said:
Rode mine like I stole it right out of the stealership parking lot!

Factory recommended break-in proceedures are BS, MHO.

You should change your oil in the first 50 - 100 miles though to get some of the crap out of the engine.
+1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think I definatly have a problem. Yesterday I was out riding it on the highway. I would run it up to 4K, shift acellerate, and repeat through all the gears and then drop it down to a crawl and start over. Two out of the five times I did this it would make a horrible racket going into 5th and hit neutral for a second, rev and then go back into gear. I am no mechanic, so I guess I am going to have to take it in damit.:banghead

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I reeled in the clutch cable at the hand lever. It gave the clutch more play until it released and now the shifting problem hasn't happened since. The lever only had about a quarter inch play in it. I was supprised it made that much difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts