Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New to the motorcycling thing but glad I'm finally able to get one.
My question is about the break-in period. How feasible is that? Even the dealer told me that keeping it under 4000 is unrealistic. Any pointers or things I need too know about break-in. Any advice is apprciated.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I had the same question. Controversial issue. But check out the post by Beansbaxter under "General Discussion" and "break in period question". There's a great link there to some insight.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The main thing is changing your oil and do not redline it. Ride it, take it easy but dont go too easy. If your worried, then stick to the guidelines that are posted and suck it up and ride and ride those miles off so you can ride it like a hooligan later.

But yeah, change your oil at 50 miles, again at 200 miles, and do the 600 mile first service (they change your oil there again).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Since I'm new to riding I think I'll take her easy and go from there.:clap

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beans, 50? :p

I kept mine under 10k, 1st oil/filter change at 250 miles, next at the 600 mile service. Make sure youvary your RPM's during break in period. Don't keep it at 6k for long distances, kick it down to 2nd and ride it at 7k, or up to 4th at 5k, etc. Also try to engine break often to help seal the valves if you're running the engine hard.

I wouldn't advise going over 10k at any point during the first 600 or 12k before you hit 1000. After that, let er' rip! Make sure, like Beans sadi, to change your oil though at 250 or before, then you should be fine till your 600 mile service.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Spec said:
Beans, 50? :p
I am just anal like that. My explanations on here are by far more conservative when compared to the way I actually treated my 10R from the day I bought it.

When I bought my new 10R, I would have preferred to take the bike with 0 miles back to my place and then change the oil. But, I rode it around the block from the dealer to make sure the bike was in good order (plus I had been drueling at riding one since my heart first wanted the new 10R).

So with 8 miles on the odometer, I loaded the bike in the back of my truck. The next day, I dropped the oil and swapped it out and also added an oil filter magnet to help get the metal shavings from the new engine. I dropped the oil once again and changed it at 50 miles.

At 250 miles, I changed the oil for a 3rd time, and the 4th change was at 600.

I have 2000+ miles showing at the moment, dont plan on changing the oil till 3000 miles and every 3000 afterwards.

Dont get me started on the types of oil I used, as well as the polly and additives, because its a crash course in my anal oil ways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer where I just bought my 07 zx6 told me new bikes have a limiter that will not allow the bike to be ridden to hard for a break in period, I think he is full of shit. Anyone ever hear of this?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The dealer where I just bought my 07 zx6 told me new bikes have a limiter that will not allow the bike to be ridden to hard for a break in period, I think he is full of shit. Anyone ever hear of this?
Not sure about bike. New snowmobiles have this option though. The computers wont let the engine go over a certain RPM. The more miles you put on the higher you can go with RPM's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts